Visit Sant'Antonino (Corsica, France)
The beautifully preserved village sits perched on top of a 500m high slab of granite, surrounded by the beautiful Balagne countryside of olive trees and vineyards (the Balagne region of north-west Corsica is often referred to as the garden of Corsica).
Cars are not permitted into the village itself - as the oldest village in Corsica, dating from the 9th century, little provision was made for motor cars!
Numerous ancient houses, with their appearance unchanged with the passage of the centuries, border the maze of narrow cobbled streets in the village.
As you pass through vaulted passageways and up steep cobbled staircases you have the impression that you have stepped back 500 years in time, and the baker who once operated the ancient bread oven might just have stepped away for five minutes. There is also a small chapel in the village next to the bread oven.
The small Church of the Annonciation, on the edge of Sant'Antonino dates from the 11th century and contains four notable paintings from the 17th and 18th centuries.
At the top of Sant'Antonino there are magnificent views, both towards the sea and the mountains. You can also see the vestiges of the fortified building that once stood there, built around the 9th century.
The more romantically inclined might like to explore the village on one of the donkey rides available.
As expected, Sant'Antonino has several arty shops, and bars and restaurants where you can take shade from the hot Corsican sunshine.
Photos taken within 10 km
Tourist classifications for Sant'Antonino
Sant'Antonino is classified as a one of the most beautiful village in France (plus beau villages)
Address: Sant'Antonino, Île-Rousse, Calvi, Haute-Corse, Corsica, 20220 || GPS: latitude 42.588, longitude 8.9045
Map of Sant'Antonino & places nearby
Highlights close by
Suggested tourist attractions to visit near Sant'Antonino, France
- Eglise de la Trinité et de San Giovanni (Aregno) - religious monument
- Chapelle de Saint-Pierre et Saint-Paul (Lumio) - religious monument (6km)
- Agriates Desert - site of natural beauty (11km)
- Lama - ville fleurie 4* (22km)
- Riciniccia - site of natural beauty (29km)
- Eglise de San Michele (Castirla) - religious monument (31km)
- Eglise de Santa Maria Assunta (Saint-Florent) - religious monument (35km)
- Eglise de San Michele (Murato) - religious monument (35km)
- Lac de Nino - site of natural beauty (37km)
- Golfe de Porto - site of natural beauty (37km)
The French version of this page is at Sant'Antonino (Francais)