Visit Saint-Savin (Midi-Pyrenees, France)
The road that leads to the village follows a road uphill through a scenic section of woodland.
The small village of saint-Savin is centred around an open square that includes several colombage houses, a fountain and a cafe, the town hall and the post office. To one side of the square is a belvedere that overlooks the valley below the village.
The Abbey of Saint-Savin
Much the most important monument in Saint-Savin is its abbey-church.
A monastery has stod here since the 10th century, when it was first built on the site of a Roman fort, and continued in active use until the Wars of Religion. There then followed a long period of abandon, with much of the stone from the buildings being used for local building projects, and it was only in the second half of the 19th century that the building was protected and restoration began.
In the walls outside you can see several carvings dating from the romanesque origins of the church while inside the church you can see a rare 16th century organ and a tabernacle.
The associated buildings that can still be seen includ the salle capitulaire and the treasury. Behind the church there are terraces that have nice views across the valley.
On the brow of a hill just outside the village you can visit the small Chapel de Pietat.
Photos of Saint-Savin
Click any picture to start the gallery
Address: Saint-Savin, Argelès-Gazost, Hautes-Pyrenees, Midi-Pyrenees, 65400 || GPS: latitude 42.980452, longitude -0.090882
Map of Saint-Savin & places nearby
Highlights close by
Col du Tourmalet 21km
Suggested tourist attractions to visit near Saint-Savin, France
- Ourdis-Cotdoussan église St Jacques (monuments on French pilgrim routes) - heritage site (12km)
- Grottes de Betharram - site of natural beauty (16km)
- Col d'Aubisque - site of natural beauty (20km)
- Col du Tourmalet - site of natural beauty (21km)
- Grottes de Médous - site of natural beauty (21km)
- Zoo d'Asson - zoo or wildlife park (22km)
- Vallée d'Ossau - site of natural beauty (27km)
- Gavarnie église St Jean Baptiste (monuments on French pilgrim routes) - heritage site (28km)
- Marshall Foch house - national monument (31km)
- Cirque d'Estaubés - site of natural beauty (31km)
The French version of this page is at Saint-Savin (Francais)