Saint-Martin-de-Londres, Languedoc-Roussillon: tourism & sightseeing
Visit Saint-Martin-de-Londres (Languedoc-Roussillon, France)
Saint-Martin-de-Londres is a picturesque village in the Hérault department of Languedoc-Roussillon, not far from Montpellier, in the south of France.
The main square of the village is the Place de la Fontaine and the tourist office is located here. Dominating the square is the large round clock-tower which once had a military role as a lookout tower. It has also been a prison. It is part of the original ramparts of St-Martin-de-Londres.
The main gateway into the medieval centre of the village is the 'Grand Portail'. From here the Rue du Grand Portail leads past the small market square of La Placette and on to the church and its surrounding buildings.
The key sight in Saint-Martin-de-Londres is its beautiful 11th century Romanesque church which is the only church in Lanquedoc to be built a trefle shape (clover-leaf shape). It has a lauze (stone) roof in front of it is an attractive stone cross. Inside it has beautifully carved chapters and elegant arches leading into each of the three rounded parts of the trefle shape.
Surrounding the church is a small square, La place de l'Eglise, with attractive stone houses and on one side a lovely stone arcade, above which is the presbytery.
Around the village there still exists a fair amount of the original ramparts.
The surrounding countryside is very pretty and good for walking. The Ravin des Arcs is a narrow canyon, 150-200m deep which has several 'arches' formed out of rock.
The beautiful city of Montpellier is about 27km south of Saint-Martin-de-Londres.
The attractive village of Les Matelles is also to the south.
Map of Saint-Martin-de-Londres and places to visit
Visit near Saint-Martin-de-Londres with France This Way reviews
... or see ALL recommended places to visit in Herault
Address: Saint-Martin-de-Londres, Montpellier, Herault, Languedoc-Roussillon, 34380, France || GPS: latitude 43.7917, longitude 3.7325
Plan your visit to Saint-Martin-de-Londres, Languedoc-Roussillon
Sightseeing & tourist attractions to visit nearby
- Grotte des Demoiselles: site of natural beauty (13km)
- Saint-Guilhem-le-Desert / Gorges de l'Herault: grand site of france (16km)
- St Guilhem le Desert ancienne abbaye (monuments on French pilgrim routes): heritage site (16km)
- Saint-Guilhem-le-Desert: most beautiful village (16km)
- Saint Jean de Fos pont du diable (monuments on French pilgrim routes): heritage site (17km)
- Grotte de la Clamouse: site of natural beauty (18km)
- Parc zoologique de Lunaret: zoo or wildlife park (20km)
- Cirque de Navacelles: grand site of france (21km)
- Montpellier: secteur sauvegarde (23km)
- Cirque de Vissec: site of natural beauty (25km)
The French version of this page is at Saint-Martin-de-Londres (Francais)