Saint-Amand-les-Eaux, Nord-Pas-de-Calais: tourism & sightseeing
Visit Saint-Amand-les-Eaux (Nord-Pas-de-Calais, France)
The town of Saint-Amand-les-Eaux is situated in the Nord-Pas-de-Calais region of northern France, on the border with Belgium to the north of Valenciennes and surrounded by the Scarpe-Escaut Natural Regional Park. The Maison du Parc, the visitor's centre for exploring the Natural Park, is in the town.
Apart from the easy access to the natural park, Saint-Amand-les-Eaux also attracts visitors due to its long established tradition as a spa treatment centre.
At one time much of what is now the town centre of Saint-Amand-les-Eaux was occupied by an extensive abbey complex, originally founded in the 9th century.
Although little of the original grandeur remains today, most of the original abbey having been demolished after the revolution, the principal monuments in the town are remnants of the abbey, to be seen in the Grand Place in the centre of the town.
In particular you can see:
- The tower of the original abbey church, which is now a museum of religious art and ceramics. Although only a small part of the original church, the baroque style tower is sufficiently large to dominate much of the town centre of Saint-Amand-les-Eaux
- The priory (known as the échevinage) is also quite a substantial building
There are also other churches to be seen in the town including the Church of Saint-Martin, largely reconstructed in the 18th century in a neo-classical style, and the red-brick Church of Saint-Therese.
As far back as ancient Roman times the beneficial properties of the local water sources were recognised, and the first baths were established here more than 2000 years ago. It was in the 17th century that these were rediscovered, and the town again began to attract visitors to its baths.
It is due to these thermal waters and the treatments they offer that many visitors are attracted to Saint-Amand-les-Eaux, and you can also find suphur and mud treatments.
The principal thermal spa centre in the town is a modern development offering a wide range of treatments - see www.chainethermale.fr/saint-amand-les-eaux for details and reservations.
Mineral water bottled in the town is also available in shops across France.
Scarpe-Escaut Regional Natural Park
Surrounding the town, the Scarpe-Escaut Regional Natural Park takes its name from the two rivers that traverse the park - the Scarpe and the Escaut - and around which many of the leisure opportunities are based. It was the first Natural Park to be designated in France, in 1968.
The landscape is a varied mix of forests and villages, rivers and farmland, and there is a great deal to enjoy. Visit the Maison du Parc in Saint-Amand-les-Eaux for details of walks and cycle routes and other suggestions when you arrive.
You can find more local travel ideas in the Nord-Pas-de-Calais guide.
Map of Saint-Amand-les-Eaux and places to visit
Visit near Saint-Amand-les-Eaux with France This Way reviews
Saint-Amand-les-Eaux is classified as a recommended detour town (plus beau detour)
Address: Saint-Amand-les-Eaux, Valenciennes, Nord, Nord-Pas-de-Calais, 59230, France || GPS: latitude 50.448611, longitude 3.428056
Plan your visit to Saint-Amand-les-Eaux, Nord-Pas-de-Calais
Sightseeing & tourist attractions to visit nearby
- Scarpe-Escaut: regional natural parc
- Réserve naturelle régionale du Pré des Nonnettes: site of natural beauty (12km)
- Réserve naturelle régionale de la Tourbière de Vred: site of natural beauty (14km)
- Mastaing: ville fleurie 4* (18km)
- Réserve naturelle régionale du Marais de Wagnonville: site of natural beauty (26km)
- Beffroi de Douai (Belfries of Belgium and France): heritage site (26km)
- Wattignies: ville fleurie 4* (31km)
- Le parc Barbieux: remarkable garden (32km)
- Roubaix: town of art and history (32km)
- Wasquehal: ville fleurie 4* (32km)
The French version of this page is at Saint-Amand-les-Eaux (Francais)