Visit Ruffec (Poitou-Charentes, France)
The town of Ruffec is situated on the Lien River in the quiet countryside to the north-west of the Charente department of Poitou-Charentes (hence north of Angouleme).
A quiet town, Ruffec has maintained a small historical centre around Armes Square and the church (the focus of your visit). The square itself is overlooked by a grand Town Hall.
The highlight in Ruffec is the Church of Saint-André. Built in the roman style the church dates from the 12th century and once belonged to the abbey at nearby Nanteuil-en-Vallee, although substantial alterations and additions were made in the 15th century - the carved decorative facade, featuring some inset statuary, is the oldest and most interesting part of the church.
Also in Ruffec you can see the traditional washhouse, the ruins of a the small Chapel Saint-Blaise and the remains of a castle.
Note: on the banks of the River Lien there is access to the river where children can have a paddle.
Attractions near Ruffec
Enthusiasts of religious architecture will certainly want to visit the abbey and treasury at Nanteuil-en-Vallee just a few kilometres from here and the benedictine abbey at Charroux. We also suggest a trip to see the churches at Civray, Genouille, Chatain and Saint-Pierre-d'Exideuil, clustered together to the north-east of Ruffec.
Close to the town visit the Aire de Rejallant to hire a canoe to explore along the river and to enjoy a picnic.
Note: photo of Ruffec is copyright
Photos taken within 10 km
Address: Ruffec, Angoulême, Charente, Poitou-Charentes, 16700 || GPS: latitude 46.0294, longitude 0.2
Map of Ruffec & places nearby
Highlights close by
Suggested tourist attractions to visit near Ruffec, France
- Eglise de Saint André (Ruffec) - religious monument
- Parc et jardin de l’Abrègement - remarkable garden (6km)
- Eglise de Genouillé (Genouille) - religious monument (14km)
- Eglise de Saint Pierre (Saint-Pierre-d'Exideuil) - religious monument (14km)
- Jardin monastique médiéval - remarkable garden (15km)
- Eglise de Saint Nicolas (Civray) - religious monument (15km)
- Eglise de Saint Pierre (Chatain) - religious monument (19km)
- Abbaye Bénédictine (Charroux) - religious monument (20km)
- Abbey Saint-Sauveur de Charroux - national monument (20km)
- Vallée des singes (monkeys) - zoo or wildlife park (25km)
Market days in Ruffec: Regular market(s) are held in Ruffec each Wednesday & Saturday. (Markets are held in the morning unless stated.)
The French version of this page is at Ruffec (Francais)