Visit Rouffach (Alsace, France)
Rouffach is a town 19 kilometres south of Colmar, at the base of the Vosges mountains in the Haut-Rhin department of the Alsace region.
While not as pretty as some of its Alsace neighbours, Rouffach is still an attractive town that merits a visit. It has a main street with coloured half-timber houses common to the region but not as many as other towns in the area.
It does still have the storks that visitors to Alsace all hope to see! There are one or two nests in the town including one on the witches tower, plus there is a small stork park on the edge of Rouffach where there are about 10 enclosed storks that you can see up close as well as others nesting nearby. These are part of a breeding and re-introduction programme.
The most interesting buildings are situated around the Place de la Republique in the centre of Rouffach. These include:
- The Witches Tower - this is the last fortified tower in Rouffach and the oldest part dates from the 13th century. During the inquisition the "witches" were imprisoned in the tower - hence its name.
- The Corn exchange that dates from the 16th century and has an attractive gabled facade.
- The former Town Hall dates back to the 15th century (the right wing - though it has been re-worked in the 18th century). The left wing was added in the 16th century.
- an 18th century Presbytery.
Wandering round the rest of the town there are various other sights to see including a number of attractive old burghers houses.
Rouffach is on the Alsace Wine Route with many picturesque villages to enjoy. Close to Rouffach we also particularly recommend you visit the ecomuseum at Ungersheim for a glimpse of life in the region in the middle ages.
Photos of Rouffach
Click any picture to start the gallery
Address: Rouffach, Guebwiller, Haut-Rhin, Alsace, 68250 || GPS: latitude 47.958333, longitude 7.298333
Map of Rouffach & places nearby
Highlights close by
Suggested tourist attractions to visit near Rouffach, France
- Soultzmatt - ville fleurie 4* (4km)
- Guebwiller - town of art and history (9km)
- Parc de la Marseillaise - remarkable garden (9km)
- Eguisheim - most beautiful village (9km)
- Colmar - secteur sauvegarde (14km)
- Neuf-Brisach ville neuve (Vauban fortifications) - heritage site (18km)
- Sausheim - ville fleurie 4* (20km)
- Parc du domaine de Schoppenwihr - remarkable garden (21km)
- Thann - recommended detour (22km)
- Hohneck - site of natural beauty (23km)
The French version of this page is at Rouffach (Francais)