Visit La Rhune (Aquitaine, France)
Various dolmens, menhirs and prehistoric sites are found on the mountain, indicating that it has also been important to the locals for many thousands of years, while more recently it has become an important site for the local Basque population.
Although a relatively low 'mountain' (905 metres altitude) La Rhune is a popular destination and local attraction, in part because it is the highest summit in the immediate region and in part because of its ease of access. From the top of La Rhune there are exceptional views in all directions, across to the Pyrenees and out to the Atlantic - and very far reaching in all directions.
The top of the mountain itself also has a large triangulation point, a cafe, giftshops and a prominent transmission mast but no problem because you will be looking out across the surrounding mountains!
It is now possible to take a small train that climbs its way up the mountain through the pretty countryside. Opened in 1924 and called 'La Petit Train de la Rhune' the train leaves from Col de saint-Ignace and is a very pleasant way to see the landscape of the western Pyrenees, and perhaps the sheep and wild horses that also live in the mountains. You can then descend the mountain on the train or on foot.
Alternatively there are many walks / hikes that lead around and up the mountain.
Note: Until a couple of hundred years ago it was believed that witches would congregate at the top of the Rhune mountain - so the local villagers paid for a monk to live their in an effort to deter their nocturnal gatherings.
Photos taken within 10 km
Address: La Rhune, Pyrenees-Atlantiques, Aquitaine || GPS: latitude 43.309, longitude -1.635
Map of La Rhune & places nearby
Highlights close by
Suggested tourist attractions to visit near La Rhune, France
- Sare - most beautiful village (4km)
- Ainhoa - most beautiful village (11km)
- Jardins de la villa Arnaga - remarkable garden (20km)
- Anglet - ville fleurie 4* (21km)
- Bayonne cathédrale St Marie (monuments on French pilgrim routes) - heritage site (24km)
- Bayonne - secteur sauvegarde (24km)
- Vallée des Aldudes - site of natural beauty (29km)
- La Bastide-Clairence - most beautiful village (33km)
- Porte St Jacques - St Jean Pied-de-Port (monuments on French pilgrim routes) - heritage site (36km)
- Marais d'Orx - site of natural beauty (38km)
The French version of this page is at La Rhune (Francais)