Visit Puygiron (Rhone-Alpes, France)
Puygiron is a small but charming village with excellent views in the Drome department (Rhone Alpes region) near to Montelimar.
Puygiron is a small village close to Montelimar on the road to the most beautiful village of Le Poet-Laval. Its position above the surrounding countryside and charming houses make it worth a detour when you go to see Le Poet-Laval.
All around the top of the village is the road, the Chemin du Ronde from which you can get views in every direction - wonderful.
Puygiron itself is tiny but it has a very attractive small stone chateau on one edge of the village. The chateau was built in the 12th to 13th century and has four towers, one of which was the dungeon. In front of the castle on the Place du Chateau is a 300 year old mullberry tree offering a substantial amount of shade.
At the other side of the village is the church and a botanic garden. All around the village there are nice little gardens to admire and attractive planting in communal areas.
About 800m outside the village sat in a field of lavender is the ancient church, the Chapelle St Bonnet which is built in an extremely simple style and dates back to the 12th century.
Montelimar is very close to Puygiron and is of course famous for its nougat. It also has a castle, the Chateau des Adhemar which can be visited.
The Abbaye Notre Dame d' Aiguebelle is a 12th century Cistercian Abbey not far away. It has a shop and a room with changing exhibitions which can be visited but the cloister and interior of the abbaye are closed to the public.
Photos of Puygiron
Click any picture to start the gallery
Address: Puygiron, Montélimar 2e Canton, Valence, Drome, Rhone-Alpes, 26160 || GPS: latitude 44.5425, longitude 4.8489
Map of Puygiron & places nearby
Highlights close by
Le Poet-Laval 13km
Suggested tourist attractions to visit near Puygiron, France
- Abbaye d'Aiguebelle (Montjoyer) - religious monument (7km)
- Viviers - secteur sauvegarde (14km)
- Abbatiale Sainte-Marie (Cruas) - religious monument (15km)
- Mirmande - most beautiful village (17km)
- Jardin des herbes - remarkable garden (18km)
- Eglise de Saint Michel (La Garde-Adhemar) - religious monument (18km)
- Cathédrale Notre-Dame (Saint-Paul-Trois-Chateaux) - religious monument (22km)
- La Ferme aux crocodiles - zoo or wildlife park (24km)
- Crest - recommended detour (25km)
- Nyons - recommended detour (31km)
The French version of this page is at Puygiron (Francais)