Visit Pujols (Aquitaine, France)
Pujols is perhaps best approached by walking from Villeneuve-sur-Lot - it is about 2 kilometres and provides a nice view of the village as you approach it. Start from the 'Porte de Pujols' in Villeneuve.
Pujols is usually entered by the impressive archway at the north of the town, the St Nicholas belltower - part of the church that is built in the original defences of the village.
The arch brings you into the main square in Pujols, with the church to one side, a 19th century market hall, a bar and the tourist office, and a couple of small galleries.
Although Pujols is a small village, little more than one street, a parallel alley, and two churches, it is extremely picturesque. The medieval houses crowd in on the street, and numerous pretty gardens add to the charm. Pujols is a walled village, and has fine views north over Villeneuve-sur-Lot and the Lot River, and south over open countryside.
The frescoes in the church are also well worth a look.
The possible downside to Pujols is a result of its small size - a large number of tourists in a small space - so it is best to visit slightly off-season or in the morning.
There are a couple of excellent restaurants in Pujols, albeit a little more expensive than some in the region.
The nearby towns of Penne d'Agenais and Tournon d'Agenais are well worth visiting, especially the former.
6km south of the village are the Grottes de Fontirou, a large cave system that was inhabited in prehistoric times.
Photos of Pujols
Click any picture to start the gallery
Tourist classifications for Pujols
Pujols is classified as a one of the most beautiful village in France (plus beau villages)
Address: Pujols, Villeneuve-sur-Lot-Sud, Villeneuve-sur-Lot, Lot-et-Garonne, Aquitaine, 47300 || GPS: latitude 44.386, longitude 0.6884
Map of Pujols & places nearby
Highlights close by
Penne d'Agenais 10km
Suggested tourist attractions to visit near Pujols, France
- Eglise de Sainte Livrade (Sainte-Livrade-sur-Lot) - religious monument (8km)
- Ets Latour-Marliac - remarkable garden (13km)
- Eglise Notre Dame (Frespech) - religious monument (14km)
- Monflanquin - most beautiful village (17km)
- Agen cathédrale St Caprais (monuments on French pilgrim routes) - heritage site (21km)
- Eglise de Notre-Dame (Lacour) - religious monument (23km)
- Abbaye de Saint Maurin (Saint-Maurin) - religious monument (26km)
- Prieuré de Sainte Marie (Moirax) - religious monument (28km)
- Eglise de Saint Martin (Layrac) - religious monument (28km)
- Walibi Aquitaine - theme park (29km)
Market days in Pujols: Regular market(s) are held in Pujols each Sunday. (Markets are held in the morning unless stated.)
The French version of this page is at Pujols (Francais)