Visit Prades (Languedoc-Roussillon, France)
Prades is a small town in the hills of the eastern Pyrenees, to the west of Perpignan. Prades lies in the shadow of Mount Canigou, which dominates this part of the Pyrenees.
Although it is the surrounding natural environment, and the chance to explore the countryside that attracts visitors to the region around Prades, there are also some highlights to discover in the town itself.
First and foremost among Prades sights is the Church of Saint-Pierre, in the old part of the town. Above all it is the 12th century belltower that catches the attention - its three upper levels are attractively ornate with arched windows. (Note, the steeple on the top of the tower is of much more recent origin).
The inside of the church is also fascinating, above all for the highly decorated and glded carvings and decorations around the altar. You can see more ornate relics from the church in the associated Treasure House.
Note also the attractive colombage house opposite the church (Maison Jacomet, recently listed as a Historic Monument), and the Saint-Martin de Canoha Chapel.
On a more minor scale, be sure to amble the streets simply to admire the occasional carved and painted details you come across in the facdes of the old houses.
To round off your visit there are well maintained gardens around the town hall.
Music plays a large part in the town - with Catalan music being played in the streets in August, and an annual music festival being held at the Abbey Saint-Michael de Cuxa (see below) and thanks to Pablo Caxals, a well known cellist who set up home here to avoid the Spanish regime under Franco.
Market day in Prades is Tuesday, a good time to visit.
A few kilometres from Prades visit the attractive abbey and cloisters at Saint-Michael de Cuxa.
Photos taken within 10 km
Tourist classifications for Prades
Prades is classified as a recommended detour town (plus beau detour)
Address: Prades, Pyrenees-Orientales, Languedoc-Roussillon, 66500 || GPS: latitude 42.6181, longitude 2.42278
Map of Prades & places nearby
Highlights close by
Molitg les Bains 5km
Suggested tourist attractions to visit near Prades, France
- Eus - most beautiful village (4km)
- Abbaye Saint Michel de Cuixa (Codalet) - religious monument (4km)
- Villefranche-de-Conflent - most beautiful village (6km)
- Villefranche-de-Conflent enceinte / fort (Vauban fortifications) - heritage site (6km)
- Eglise de Sainte-Marie (Corneilla-de-Conflent) - religious monument (7km)
- Eglise de Sainte Marie de Marcevol (Arboussols) - religious monument (8km)
- Mosset - most beautiful village (8km)
- Massif du Canigou - grand site of france (11km)
- Abbaye Saint Martin du Canigou (Casteil) - religious monument (11km)
- Prieuré de Serrabone (Boule-d'Amont) - religious monument (13km)
Market days in Prades: Regular market(s) are held in Prades each Tuesday. (Markets are held in the morning unless stated.)
The French version of this page is at Prades (Francais)