Visit Poudenas (Aquitaine, France)
Poudenas is a village located towards the southern border of the Lot-et-Garonne department of Aquitaine, about 15km south-west of Nerac.
The village of Poudenas falls in two distinct parts:
The upper part of the village is centred around the castle, with the main part of the village winding around the base of the chateau and looking out over the surrounding countryside. The chateau dates back to the 13th century, although it was substantially transformed in the 17th century to create more luxurious accommodation.
The castle is surrounded by an attractive and extensive park, and it also contains a small museum dedicated to prehistoric activity in the region (castle visits are only available for groups of 10+ and by prior arrangement).
At the bottom of the hill is the river Gelise, crossed by a charming Gothic stone bridge. Opposite this there is a lovely galleried building with a wooden arched verandah - it looks to be in need of a bit of renovation but is lovely none the less.
Poudenas is one of several small villages and market towns in this quiet region of south-west France on the edges of the historical Gascony region that deserve to be explored - preferably at a slow pace, all the better to absorb the tranquil atmosphere that has been associated with Gascony for so many centuries!
Visitors are spoiled for choice with several classified most beautiful villages close to hand such as Fources, Montreal-du-Gers, and Larressingle, a small but perfect fortified village.
Photos of Poudenas
Click any picture to start the gallery
Address: Poudenas, Mézin, Nérac, Lot-et-Garonne, Aquitaine, 47170 || GPS: latitude 44.047222, longitude 0.209444
Map of Poudenas & places nearby
Highlights close by
Suggested tourist attractions to visit near Poudenas, France
- Fources - most beautiful village (6km)
- Montreal-du-Gers - most beautiful village (11km)
- Larressingle - most beautiful village (14km)
- Nerac - secteur sauvegarde (14km)
- Beaumont sur l'Osee pont d'Artigues (monuments on French pilgrim routes) - heritage site (15km)
- Jardin et arboretum de Coursiana - remarkable garden (24km)
- La Romieu Collegiale St Pierre (monuments on French pilgrim routes) - heritage site (24km)
- Blaziert - ville fleurie 4* (25km)
- Walibi Aquitaine - theme park (29km)
- Eglise de Sainte Marie (Aubiac) - religious monument (30km)
The French version of this page is at Poudenas (Francais)