Plazac, Aquitaine: tourism & sightseeing
Visit Plazac (Aquitaine, France)
Plazac is situated in the heart of the Dordogne department, in the prehistoric Vézère Valley between Les Eyzies and Montignac. Although it is only a tiny village, if you are in the vicinity its worth a visit as it is very pretty.
Upon arriving in the village, parking is on a steep slope. Beyond the parking area the village continues to slope upwards towards the church at the top of the hill.
Below the church is the traditional village hall supported by round stone pillars and a lovely paved area, gardened on either side and leading up to the church. The church itself dates back to the 13th century (with 17th century modifications) and around its outside edges there is an old well and a frescoe on an outside wall (this is unusual to see these outside).
Note: the inhabitants of Plazac gave shelter to the inhabitants of one of the villages in Alsace which suffered heavy fighting in the second world war. In thanks the residents of Binderheim built a garden and fountain in Plazac.
There is also a restaurant here and a small grocery store.
Attractions close to Plazac
There are numerous attractions in the heart of the Dordogne and Vezere Valley within easy reach of Plazac - prehistoric caves such as Lascaux, historic towns such as Sarlat, and a great deal of fine scenery. Just a few kilometres from Plazac, Saint-Leon-sur-Vezere is another very pretty village.
Map of Plazac and places to visit
Visit near Plazac with France This Way reviews
... or see ALL recommended places to visit in Dordogne
Address: Plazac, Montignac, Sarlat-la-Canéda, Dordogne, Aquitaine, 24580, France || GPS: latitude 45.035833, longitude 1.040278
Plazac reviews and comments
Plazac, France Rating: 1/5 Reviewed by Anon on
Plan your visit to Plazac, Aquitaine
Sightseeing & tourist attractions to visit nearby
- Eglise de Saint Léonce (Saint-Leon-sur-Vezere): religious monument (5km)
- Saint-Leon-sur-Vezere: most beautiful village (5km)
- Jardins du château de Losse: remarkable garden (7km)
- Vezere Valley: heritage site (11km)
- Decorated caves of the Vezere Valley: national monument (11km)
- Abri de Cap Blanc: national monument (11km)
- Grotte du Grand Roc: site of natural beauty (11km)
- Abri of Laugerie-Haute: national monument (11km)
- Font-de-Gaume: national monument (11km)
- Abbaye de Saint Amand de Coly (Saint-Amand-de-Coly): religious monument (17km)
The French version of this page is at Plazac (Francais)