Visit Plazac (Aquitaine, France)
Plazac is situated in the heart of the Dordogne department, in the prehistoric Vézère Valley between Les Eyzies and Montignac. Although it is only a tiny village, if you are in the vicinity its worth a visit as it is very pretty.
Upon arriving in the village, parking is on a steep slope. Beyond the parking area the village continues to slope upwards towards the church at the top of the hill.
Below the church is the traditional village hall supported by round stone pillars and a lovely paved area, gardened on either side and leading up to the church. The church itself dates back to the 13th century (with 17th century modifications) and around its outside edges there is an old well and a frescoe on an outside wall (this is unusual to see these outside).
Note: the inhabitants of Plazac gave shelter to the inhabitants of one of the villages in Alsace which suffered heavy fighting in the second world war. In thanks the residents of Binderheim built a garden and fountain in Plazac.
There is also a restaurant here and a small grocery store.
Attractions close to Plazac
There are numerous attractions in the heart of the Dordogne and Vezere Valley within easy reach of Plazac - prehistoric caves such as Lascaux, historic towns such as Sarlat, and a great deal of fine scenery. Just a few kilometres from Plazac, Saint-Leon-sur-Vezere is another very pretty village.
Photos of Plazac
Click any picture to start the gallery
Address: Plazac, Montignac, Sarlat-la-Canéda, Dordogne, Aquitaine, 24580 || GPS: latitude 45.035833, longitude 1.040278
Map of Plazac & places nearby
Highlights close by
Chateau de Commarque 10km
Suggested tourist attractions to visit near Plazac, France
- Eglise de Saint Léonce (Saint-Leon-sur-Vezere) - religious monument (5km)
- Saint-Leon-sur-Vezere - most beautiful village (5km)
- Jardins du château de Losse - remarkable garden (7km)
- Vezere Valley - heritage site (11km)
- Abri of Laugerie-Haute - national monument (11km)
- Decorated caves of the Vezere Valley - national monument (11km)
- Grotte du Grand Roc - site of natural beauty (11km)
- Abri de Cap Blanc - national monument (11km)
- Font-de-Gaume - national monument (11km)
- Abbaye de Saint Amand de Coly (Saint-Amand-de-Coly) - religious monument (17km)
The French version of this page is at Plazac (Francais)