Plancoet, Brittany: tourism & sightseeing
Visit Plancoet (Brittany, France)
Plancoet is located in north-eastern Brittany in the Cotes d'Armor department, about 20 kilometres south-west of Dinard. The town is about 10 kilometres inland from the beaches of the Emerald Coast and on the banks of the quiet River Arguenon.
Although a small place Plancoet is pleasant to wander around and to take a stroll along the river front below the traditional granite houses. Among the individual highlights in the town are two 19th century churches: the Church of Saint-Sauveur and the Church Notre-Dame de Nazareth.
The most notable house in the village is a lovely medieval house at 25 rue de l'Abbaye. The house was built in the 16th century and has a large enclosed balcony on the first floor and a most unusual half-timbered design for the upper-floor.
The town is well known locally for its mineral water - produced from the Source at Sassay it is the only mineral water commercially produced in Brittany. Plancoet also prides itself on its flowers, and has been awarded a 3* 'ville fleurie', which is quite an achievement for a small town (the maximum award is 4*).
Interesting note for literary lovers - Plancoet was the 'small village' referred to in 'Mémoires d'outre-tombe' by Chateaubriand (a famous 19th century French writer and politician) who stayed here several times during his childhood.
To discover more of the natural beauty of the region don't miss the opportunity to follow the valley of the Arguenon downstream towards the coast through an attractive countryside of light woodland, open fields and marshland.
The beaches of the Emerald Coast within easy reach include the Plage de Saint-Cast le Guildo and the beach at Saint-Jacut de la Mer, while the scenic headland at Cap Frehel is also recommended. Dinan and Dinard are popular excursions.
Photo of Plancoet kindly contributed by Mrs Daryl Gardner
Map of Plancoet and places to visit
Visit near Plancoet with France This Way reviews
... or see ALL recommended places to visit in Cotes-d'Armor
Address: Plancoët, Dinan, Cotes-d'Armor, Brittany, 22130, France || GPS: latitude 48.5239, longitude -2.23306
Plan your visit to Plancoet, Brittany
Sightseeing & tourist attractions to visit nearby
- Îlot de la Colombière: site of natural beauty (11km)
- Baie de Lancieux, baie de l'Arguenon, archipel de Saint-Malo et Dinard: site of natural beauty (13km)
- Jardins de Montmarin: remarkable garden (14km)
- Dinan: recommended detour (16km)
- Dinard: town of art and history (17km)
- Îlots Notre-Dame et Chevret: site of natural beauty (18km)
- Cap Frehel: site of natural beauty (19km)
- Rance (fleuve): site of natural beauty (19km)
- Embouchure - Rance: site of natural beauty (19km)
- Estuaire de la Rance: site of natural beauty (20km)
- Cézembre: site of natural beauty (21km)
- Cap d'Erquy / Cap Frehel: grand site of france (21km)
Market days in Plancoet, France
Regular market(s) are held in Plancoet each Saturday. (Markets are held in the morning unless stated.)
The French version of this page is at Plancoet (Francais)