Livradois-Forez Regional Park tourism & sightseeing
Visit Livradois-Forez Regional Park (Auvergne, France)
The Regional Natural Parc of Livradois-Forez is situated in the Auvergne region of France, in the departments of Puy-de-Dome and Haute-Loire. Chateldon and Thiers are to the north of the parc, Ambert and Usson (near Issoire) to the centre and Brioude, Lavaudieu and La Chaise-Dieu towards the south.
There are also many other smaller villages and hamlets to explore in the forest which is wonderful in all seasons with many changing colours, fauna, flora, mushrooms, red squirrels, deer and many birds of prey.
The landscape of the Livradois-Forez park falls into several distinct regions, each with their own characteristics:
- The Valley of the Dore River, which passes southwards through the north-central section (see also the valley of the Credogne river, a subsidiary of the Dore)
- The exposed landscapes of the Monts du Forez follow the north-east border of the parc
- The gentler hills and slopes to the west around Billom and Foret de la Comte
- The high forested plateau of the southern-central section in the Livradois
- The rolling wooded valleys of the south-west of the Livradois-Forez
- The first stages of Auvergne Volcanos are to the south-east of the region (see also Auvergne Parc of the Volcanoes)
One interesting way to discover the park to consider is to follow the 'route des metiers' which winds through the countryside visiting the castles, museums and artisan workshops of the region - see Livradois-Forez Route des Metiers for details.
Another way is to follow a circular route round the park visiting twelve villages that have been highlighted as being of particular interest. These are: Ambert, Viverols, La Chaise-Dieu, Allegre, Auzon, Sauxillanges, Billom, Olliergues, Courpiere, Thiers and Chateldon.
The Livradois-Forez Parc is excellent countryside for walking, photography and painting, and popular for both summer and winter sports enthusiasts.
The picture shown above is of the plan d'eau - a swimming lake with a beach and fishing - at Champagnac-le-Vieux above Brioude.
Map of Livradois-Forez Regional Park and places to visit
Visit near Livradois-Forez Regional Park with France This Way reviews
... or see ALL recommended places to visit in Haute-Loire
Address: Parc naturel régional Livradois-Forez, Haute-Loire, Auvergne, n/a, France || GPS: latitude 45.6903, longitude 3.60806
Plan your visit to Livradois-Forez Regional Park, Auvergne
Sightseeing & tourist attractions to visit nearby
- Aulteribe Chateau: national monument (13km)
- Livradois-Forez: regional natural parc (15km)
- Bois Noirs: site of natural beauty (18km)
- Ambert: recommended detour (19km)
- Thiers: secteur sauvegarde (19km)
- Col des Pradeaux: site of natural beauty (26km)
- Usson: most beautiful village (28km)
- Jardins du château d'Hauterive: remarkable garden (32km)
- Issoire: recommended detour (32km)
- Eglise de Saint Austremoine d'Issoire (Issoire): religious monument (32km)
The French version of this page is at Livradois-Forez Regional Park (Francais)