Visit Oppedette (Provence, France)
Oppedette is a small but very pleasant traditional village to explore and deserves a visit if you are in the region. The village is high on the rocky hillside, and consists of a few narrow roads and alleys winding up between the carefully renovated stone houses, passing the small Church of Saint-Didier (19th century) and a few other minor highlights of interest along the way.
All in all very impressive for a village which apparently has less than 40 inhabitants!
It is above all for the 'Gorges d'Oppedette' (les Gorges du Cavalon) and the scenic surroundings that most visitors come to the village. The Calavon river has carved a very impressive series of gorges next to the village, with the the main canyon about 2.5 kilometres long and up to 150 metres deep.
Along a pleasant path from the village there is a belvedere (viewpoint) that looks out across the end of the gorges, and gives an impressive introduction to their scenic grandeur.
If you have time we highly recommend you to follow one of the marked trails through the gorges - you can choose whether to walk along the top of the gorges or in the valley next to the river, and there are trails of varying length and difficulty. You will also see the gorges if you are following one of the long distance footpaths, either the GR4 or GR6.
Photos taken within 10 km
Address: Oppedette, Reillanne, Forcalquier, Alpes-de-Haute-Provence, Provence, 4110 || GPS: latitude 43.935, longitude 5.591111
Map of Oppedette & places nearby
Highlights close by
Suggested tourist attractions to visit near Oppedette, France
- Colorado Provencal - site of natural beauty (8km)
- Jardins du prieuré de Salagon - remarkable garden (14km)
- Jardins du château de Sauvan - remarkable garden (14km)
- Luberon - regional natural parc (15km)
- Apt - recommended detour (17km)
- Jardin à la française du Pavillon de Galon - remarkable garden (22km)
- Roussillon - most beautiful village (24km)
- Ansouis - most beautiful village (24km)
- Gorges de la Nesque - site of natural beauty (24km)
- Jardin de la Louve - remarkable garden (26km)
The French version of this page is at Oppedette (Francais)