Opio, Provence: tourism & sightseeing
Visit Opio (Provence, France)
Little more than a church and a sprinkling of houses around a hilltop, Opio is a perched village with far-reaching views and while a visit will only take half an hour it is recommended that you stop by if you are passing.
In a very picturesque spot surrounded by hills covered with olive and pine trees, from the belvedere next to Opio church you can also look down on the golf course in the valley below, which is popular with visitors, and miles of unspoiled countryside.
The Church of Saint Trophisme with its tall square clocktower dates originally from the 12th century, although it was substantially modified in later centuries.
There is also a traditional olive mill nearby that has been active since the 15th century (although the mill is now driven by electricity rather than water). At the Moulin d'Opio (on the Route de Chateauneuf) you can taste and buy their home pressed olive oils.
Opio and Coluche
The village is well known by the French because the the well known French actor Coluche was killed here in a road accident in 1986. His name continues to be well known in France because shortly before he died Coluche started a charity called Les Restos du Coeur which is still a leading charity with events every year supported by the best known French actors, comedians and musicians.
There is a commemorative plaque in Opio to mark the spot where Coluche was killed.
Map of Opio and places to visit
Visit near Opio with France This Way reviews
... or see ALL recommended places to visit in Alpes-Maritimes
Address: Opio, Bar-sur-Loup, Grasse, Alpes-Maritimes, Provence, 06650, France || GPS: latitude 43.6667, longitude 6.9833
Plan your visit to Opio, Provence
Sightseeing & tourist attractions to visit nearby
- Grasse: secteur sauvegarde (5km)
- Jardin de la Villa Fort de France: remarkable garden (5km)
- Gourdon: most beautiful village (6km)
- Marineland d'Antibes: aquarium (13km)
- Cannes: ville fleurie 4* (13km)
- Abbaye de Lerins (Cannes): religious monument (13km)
- Grottes de Saint-Cezaire: site of natural beauty (14km)
- Jardin botanique de la villa Thuret: remarkable garden (15km)
- Le Vallon du Brec: remarkable garden (15km)
- Baou de Saint-Jeannet: site of natural beauty (16km)
The French version of this page is at Opio (Francais)