Visit Obernai (Alsace, France)
Obernai is in the Bas-Rhin department of the Alsace region, 25km south of Strasbourg. The greatest surprise of the town is how well it escaped damage during WWI and WWII, and much of the town appears unchanged from its heyday in the 15th and 16th centuries.
A picture postcard pretty town, Obernai has lots of delightful medieval houses lining the narrow streets and small open plazas, all set within the original ramparts of the town.
Many of the houses are painted in the resplendent colours typical of Alsace. Each house is a different colour, has different patterns of beams, different shutter colours. It is one of the best and most 'traditional' of the villages - utterly charming.
Things to see in Obernai
- The Belfry (opposite which you will find the tourist office) has a 60 meter high tower which was once the steeple of, and is all that remains of, the Chapel of the Virgin. It has also been used as the town watchtower but is now the clock tower.
- On the Rue des Pelerins (Pilgrim's Street) there is a Romanesque house built in 1240.
- The six buckets well is a Renaissance style well with Corinthian style columns and six buckets hanging from its canopy, each one planted with flowers. It is on the street which leads up to the St Peter and St Paul Church and gives a charming picture with the well in the foreground and the church in the background.
- The fortifications of Obernai run right round the town. They are 1400m long with 20 towers and 4 tower gates. There is a pleasant tree-lined walk which runs all the way round the outside of the medieval wall.
- Obernai's corn exchange was built in 1554 in Renaissance style with a touch of Gothic.
- The market place is a lovely square in the heart of Obernai. The belfry and town hall are at one end and the corn exchange at the other, and inbetween lots of lovely half-timber houses. Market day is Thursday morning.
Pick up a leaflet from the tourist office in Obernai next to the belfry and follow their suggested circuit (about half an hour on foot) to be sure of seeing all the sights.
Obernai is a good sized town with plenty of hotels, restaurants and shops that make it a good base for exploring the area the vineyards of the region. Obernai is on the Alsace Wine Route, hence there are a multitude of small attractive villages to discover in the vicinity.
The town is also at the foot of Mont Sainte Odile. Though it is a 15-20 minute drive from Obernai to get to the convent the views from there are excellent and the trip is recommended.
Photos of Obernai
Click any picture to start the gallery
Tourist classifications for Obernai
Obernai is classified as a recommended detour town (plus beau detour)
Address: Obernai, Sélestat-Erstein, Bas-Rhin, Alsace, 67210 || GPS: latitude 48.463, longitude 7.4827
Map of Obernai & places nearby
Highlights close by
Suggested tourist attractions to visit near Obernai, France
- Domaine du Windeck - remarkable garden (4km)
- Mittelbergheim - most beautiful village (8km)
- Itterswiller - ville fleurie 4* (12km)
- Jardin du chateau de Kolbsheim - remarkable garden (13km)
- Le jardin de Marguerite - remarkable garden (18km)
- Cigoland - zoo or wildlife park (23km)
- Diebolsheim - ville fleurie 4* (23km)
- Strasbourg Grand Ile - heritage site (24km)
- Jardin botanique de l'université de Strasbourg - remarkable garden (24km)
- Strasbourg - town of art and history (24km)
Market days in Obernai: Regular market(s) are held in Obernai each Thursday. (Markets are held in the morning unless stated.)
The French version of this page is at Obernai (Francais)