Noyon, Picardy: tourism & sightseeing
Visit Noyon (Picardy, France)
Noyon is a town to the north-east of the Oise department (Picardy region) in northern France.
Designated as a 'town of art and history', the heart of a visit to Noyon is centred around the cathedral (the most important monument in Noyon) and surrounding streets within the original ramparts of the medieval town - a compact area so easy to explore.
Dating from the 12th-13th centuries, the cathedral was built on the site of an earlier cathedral (that was destroyed by fire in 1131) and is in the so-called 'transitional style' (ie incorporating elements from the earlier roman style and the 'up and coming' gothic style), hence the west front facade of Noyon cathedral is quite different in design to the ornate gothic eastern end.
The area immediately surrounding the cathedral has several related buildings of interest, including the cloisters, refectory with storage loft, sacristy and chapter-house, and the remains of the bishops palace.
The cathedral library is an especially attractive half-timbered building seemingly balanced on a single main supporting wall next to the cathedral itself, while the crypt can be seen just across the Rue de l'Eveche.
There is also a monument to those who died in the two world wars next to the cathedral.
Other highlights in Noyon
Head a little south to the Place Bertrand-Labarre to see the ornate 17th century town hall and the curious 'fontaine du dauphin' (near the Noyon Tourist Office).
Jean Calvin, the important reformation theologian who gave his name to Calvinism, was born here in the 16th century, and his house is now a museum dedicated to his life (on Rue Calvin, west of the cathedral)
The tourist office in Noyon also offers some guided walks that will enable you to see parts of Noyon you might otherwise miss, such as the subterranean excavations of the original gallo-roman city.
Map of Noyon and places to visit
Visit near Noyon with France This Way reviews
... or see ALL recommended places to visit in Oise
Noyon is classified as a listed town of Art and History
Address: Noyon, Compiègne, Oise, Picardy, 60400, France || GPS: latitude 49.581667, longitude 2.999722
Plan your visit to Noyon, Picardy
Sightseeing & tourist attractions to visit nearby
- Forêt de Laigue: site of natural beauty (14km)
- Mont Ganelon: site of natural beauty (18km)
- Compiène église Saint-Jacques (monuments on French pilgrim routes): heritage site (22km)
- Forêt de Compiègne: site of natural beauty (22km)
- Parc du château de Compiègne: remarkable garden (23km)
- Chateau Coucy: national monument (24km)
- Pierrefonds Chateau: national monument (26km)
- Soissons: town of art and history (32km)
- Gauchy: ville fleurie 4* (33km)
- Eglise de Berzy-le-Sec (Berzy-le-sec): religious monument (36km)
- Saint-Quentin: town of art and history (36km)
- Réserve naturelle des Marais d'Isle: site of natural beauty (37km)
Market days in Noyon, France
Regular market(s) are held in Noyon each Saturday. (Markets are held in the morning unless stated.)
The French version of this page is at Noyon (Francais)