Visit Nieul-sur-l'Autise (Pays de la Loire, France)
Most visitors come to the village to see the Abbey of Saint Vincent, established here in the 11th century. The abbey subsequently became designated a royal abbey by Eleanor of Aquitaine, who was born in Neuil in 1122.
The abbey church itself is roman in style and origins. The abbey underwent some restoration following damage during the Wars of Religion, had significant restoration work in the 19th century, and the clocktower, added much more recently, is rather less simple in design than we might expect of a roman church. Nonetheless the abbey and associated buildings are one of the most complete ensembles of roman buildings of their type to be found in France.
The abbey has various attractive features such as carvings, sculptures and arches but for me it is the original romanesque cloisters that are the highlight, with their great multi-columned pillars and calm reflective arcades.
Other sights of note in Nieul-sur-l'Autise - classified as a 'Petite Cite de Caractere' - include a watermill, now a functioning watermill where you can watch flour being ground using traditional machinery.
The remains of a neolithic camp are also to be found at Nieul-sur-l'Autise - Le Camp Durand - with defensive ditches dating back to prehistoric times.
Close to Nieul
Enthusiast of religious monuments will also want to visit Maillezais Abbey, just a few kilometres to the south-west of Nieul-sur-l'Autise.
Note: Photo by Lundeux details & copyright
Photos taken within 10 km
Address: Nieul-sur-l'Autise, Saint-Hilaire-des-Loges, Fontenay-le-Comte, Vendee, Pays de la Loire, 85240 || GPS: latitude 46.424, longitude -0.678
Map of Nieul-sur-l'Autise & places nearby
Highlights close by
Maillezais abbey 7km
Marais Poitevin 15km
See lots more places to visit nearby and a more detailed map at places near Nieul-sur-l'Autise.
See Pays de la Loire and Vendee (the region and department for Nieul-sur-l'Autise) for more travel ideas...
Suggested tourist attractions to visit near Nieul-sur-l'Autise, France
- Abbaye Royale (Nieul-sur-l'Autise) - religious monument
- Abbaye Saint Pierre et Eglise de Saint Nicolas (Maillezais) - religious monument (7km)
- Eglise de Saint-Eulalie (Benet) - religious monument (9km)
- Marais Poitevin - grand site of france (10km)
- Fontenay-le-Comte - recommended detour (11km)
- Natur'Zoo de Mervent - zoo or wildlife park (11km)
- Eglise de Notre-Dame de l'Assomption (Maille) - religious monument (12km)
- Coulon - most beautiful village (13km)
- Eglise de Notre-Dame (Vouvant) - religious monument (18km)
- Vouvant - most beautiful village (18km)
The French version of this page is at Nieul-sur-l'Autise (Francais)