Visit Montjoi (Midi-Pyrenees, France)
Montjoi is a really charming little village situated on the border of Tarn et Garonne and Lot et Garonne to the east of Agen. Although it is a very small village and doesn't take long to explore, Montjoi is a pleasure to visit and among the most picturesque of the unspoiled traditional village of the 'Pays de l'Agenais' region.
Enter the village through the stone arched doorway which enters onto the main street. Immediately you can see the medieval houses, which are a mixture of stone houses and half-timbered houses, many of which have been beautifully restored.
The houses are all about the same size but each has different features. Arched doorways and rectangular doorways, timber set in patterns and filled in sometimes with small terracotta bricks and sometimes with crepi, wooden shutters and blue shutters. The overall effect is really very attractive.
On the other side of the church in the village centre you can still see part of the original ramparts in Montjoi.
Note: the day I visited there was a sculpture exhibition going on and the village was filled with large fat black ladies - see photo gallery! Apparently this is a regular event and visitors in July-August are likely to be treated to a 'street art' exhibition as part of an annual 'Contemporary Art Festival'.
Attractions in the region
The quiet countryside around Montjoi and near the border between Tarn-et-Garonne and Lot-et-Garonne has many small attractive villages to explore. Auvillar and Lauzerte attract the most attention because they are both listed as 'most beautiful villages of France', but allow the time to visit some of the others as well such as Saint-Maurin - a pretty village with substantial remains of a benedictine abbey just a few kilometres from Montjoi.
Photos of Montjoi
Click any picture to start the gallery
Address: Montjoi, Valence, Castelsarrasin, Tarn-et-Garonne, Midi-Pyrenees, 82400 || GPS: latitude 44.1975, longitude 0.920833
Map of Montjoi & places nearby
Highlights close by
Bourg de Visa 8km
Suggested tourist attractions to visit near Montjoi, France
- Abbaye de Saint Maurin (Saint-Maurin) - religious monument (3km)
- Eglise de Notre-Dame (Lacour) - religious monument (11km)
- Auvillar - most beautiful village (14km)
- Eglise Notre Dame (Frespech) - religious monument (15km)
- Moissac abbatiale St Pierre (monuments on French pilgrim routes) - heritage site (17km)
- Lauzerte - most beautiful village (19km)
- Jardin du Pèlerin - remarkable garden (19km)
- Eglise de Saint Martin (Layrac) - religious monument (22km)
- Agen cathédrale St Caprais (monuments on French pilgrim routes) - heritage site (24km)
- Prieuré de Sainte Marie (Moirax) - religious monument (26km)
The French version of this page is at Montjoi (Francais)