Montferrand-du-Perigord, Aquitaine: tourism & sightseeing
Visit Montferrand-du-Perigord (Aquitaine, France)Photo Gallery
The route that passes between Belves and Beaumont in the southern Dordogne, follows in part along the scenic Couze valley, where wooded hills and pastoral valleys conceal small villages, unchanged over the centuries.
Montferrand-du-Perigord is the most important of these villages, and while small and quick to explore it is an exceptional village in which almost every house has a great deal of character and period features to enjoy.
The village is centred around a church and a 16th century market hall, in the upper part of Montferrand. Apart from these two monuments simply wander along the single street that runs steeply* down towards the Couze river, admiring the houses and their numerous architectural highlights.
Be sure to also venture a few hundred metres south of Montferrand-du-Perigord to see the small 12th century church standing on the hilltop outside the village. The Church of Saint-Christophe dates from the 12th century and contains numerous frescoes from the 13th and 14th century.
* The first time I visited Montferrand-du-Perigord was on bike. I didn't notice the sign warning that the hill was 15% (1:6) and had to cycle up through the village in a difficult gear. This took all my concentration and it was only on a later visit that I noticed how lovely the village was...
To do near Montferrand-du-Perigord
There are many local highlights to enjoy in this largely unexplored region including picturesque villages such as Molieres and Monpazier and important monuments such as the abbeys at Cadouin and Saint-Avit-Senieur.
The quiet roads and scenery also make this ideal walking and cycling territory, with numerous possibilities to enjoy the surrounding countryside.
Map of Montferrand-du-Perigord and places to visit
Visit near Montferrand-du-Perigord with France This Way reviews
... or see ALL recommended places to visit in Dordogne
Address: Montferrand-du-Périgord, Beaumont-du-Périgord, Bergerac, Dordogne, Aquitaine, 24440, France || GPS: latitude 44.751667, longitude 0.866944
Plan your visit to Montferrand-du-Perigord, Aquitaine
Sightseeing & tourist attractions to visit nearby
- Eglise Sainte-Croix (Beaumont-du-Perigord): religious monument (3km)
- Saint-Avit Eglise (monuments on French pilgrim routes): heritage site (5km)
- Le-Buisson-de-Cadouin eglise abbatiale (monuments on French pilgrim routes): heritage site (7km)
- Monpazier: secteur sauvegarde (8km)
- Jardins de la Bourlie: remarkable garden (9km)
- Jardin de Planbuisson: remarkable garden (11km)
- Eglise Notre Dame de l'Assomption (Belves): religious monument (11km)
- Belves: most beautiful village (11km)
- Eglise de Saint-Hilaire et Eglise de Saint-Nicholas (Tremolat): religious monument (14km)
- Limeuil: most beautiful village (15km)
The French version of this page is at Montferrand-du-Perigord (Francais)