Visit Mont d'Astarac (Midi-Pyrenees, France)
The village of Mont d'Astarac is situated on a small hill in the quiet countryside of the southern Gers department (Gascony), north of Saint-Gaudens and south of Auch.
With a history dating back to 930 AD, Mont d'Astarac was at one time an important regional centre and capital of the Astarac region, with fortifications including a deep ditch and walls around the town.
Exploring Mont d'Astarac
Now a very small and quiet village, it is interesting to visitors in search of the authentic 'France profonde'during their travels, and deserves to be visited for its monuments that are registered as Historic Monuments:
- The church and tower in the recently restored 'city'
- The exceptional murals dating from the 15th century, discovered in the Church of saint-Laurent in June 1968 and which allowed the church to regain its former magnificence, a small reminder of the times the counts of Gascony were established here in Astarac.
The region around Mont d'Astarac
Exploring the surrounding region you will be struck by the peaceful countryside and the slow pace of life here in Gascony.
One attractive route to follow through the region if you are interested in church art and frescoes is the 'Route des Peintures Murales et des Sculptures' proposed by the Gers tourist authorities.
This route visits Mont d'Astarac, then Belloc-Saint-Clemens, Lourties-Montbrun, Seissan and Simorre to the north of here, Chelan and Ponsan-Soubiran to the west and Sariac-Magnoac, Monleon-Magnoac and Boulogne-sur-Gesse to the south. Not all these churches are always open - see the map and church opening times at Route des Peintures Murals de Gers.
Among towns and places of interest a little further afield we suggest you visit the market town of Auch and the village and cathedral of Saint-Bertrand-de-Comminges. If you are visiting during the first half of August be sure to visit Marciac, home to one of the most important jazz festivals in France.
Photos of Mont d'Astarac
Click any picture to start the gallery
Address: Mont-d'Astarac, Masseube, Mirande, Gers, Midi-Pyrenees, 32140 || GPS: latitude 43.329167, longitude 0.568889
Map of Mont d'Astarac & places nearby
Highlights close by
Suggested tourist attractions to visit near Mont d'Astarac, France
- Jardin de la poterie Hillen - remarkable garden (4km)
- Montmaurin Gallo-Roman Villa - national monument (13km)
- Valcabrère basilique St Just (monuments on French pilgrim routes) - heritage site (33km)
- St Bertrand de Comminges chapelle St Julien (monuments on French pilgrim routes) - heritage site (33km)
- Saint-Bertrand-de-Comminges - most beautiful village (34km)
- St Bertrand de Comminges cathédrale (monuments on French pilgrim routes) - heritage site (34km)
- Auch cathédrale St Just (monuments on French pilgrim routes) - heritage site (35km)
- Gouffre d'Esparros - site of natural beauty (38km)
- Ordan-Larroque - ville fleurie 4* (41km)
- Jardin Massey - remarkable garden (41km)
The French version of this page is at Mont d'Astarac (Francais)