Visit Monsegur (Aquitaine, France)
The town of Monsegur is a bastide town, situated on the Dropt river in south-east Gironde. This part of the countryside, between the Dordogne and the Garonne is known as Entre-Deux-Mers. (There are several places called Monsegur in France, be careful if booking a 'hotel in Monsegur' that you have found the one you are looking for!)
Founded in the 13th century Monsegur is an 'English' bastide (i.e. founded by the English when they occupied the region) and has all the characteristics of a typical bastide - a central square surrounded by covered arcades and straight roads radiating off from the centre, interconnected by even narrower alleys.
There is also a church (the Church of Notre Dame dates from the 13th century and contains some interesting stone carvings) and half-timbered houses to enjoy. The traditional market hall that once stood in the centre of the square has now been replaced by a 19th century hall in ironwork and glass - perhaps rather larger than the original it dominates the central square.
Another notable feature is the so-called Governor's tower, built in the 15th century to house the staircase of the Governor's house and with several interesting decorative features around the entrance doorway.
Monsegur is slightly unusual in that a significant part of its original defensive ramparts remain intact, and offer the chance to walk the 2km around the town while enjoying the attractive views across the Dropt valley and surrounding countryside.
Market day is Friday in Monsegur, a good time to visit to see the town at its liveliest - be sure take the time to sit in a cafe in the square and watch the world bustling by after buying your fruit and vegetables.
Many of the most popular and interesting towns and villages in the area follow the Dropt river as it flows westwards - see information of some of the highlights at Dropt Valley.
Photos of Monsegur
Click any picture to start the gallery
Address: Monségur, Langon, Gironde, Aquitaine, 33580 || GPS: latitude 44.651389, longitude 0.081667
Map of Monsegur & places nearby
Highlights close by
La Reole 12km
Suggested tourist attractions to visit near Monsegur, France
- Jardin du cloître Notre-Dame - remarkable garden (17km)
- Jardins de Beauchamp - remarkable garden (17km)
- Montcaret Archaeological site - national monument (23km)
- Jardins du Sardy - remarkable garden (23km)
- Parc et potager de Pouthet - remarkable garden (25km)
- Jardins du château de Malle - remarkable garden (31km)
- Cadillac Chateau - national monument (32km)
- Collégiale et chapelle de la Trinité (Saint-Emilion) - religious monument (33km)
- Saint-Emilion - heritage site (33km)
- Bazas cathédrale St Jean Baptist (monuments on French pilgrim routes) - heritage site (34km)
The French version of this page is at Monsegur (Francais)