Visit Mezin (Aquitaine, France)
Mezin is located in the Lot et Garonne department of Aquitaine, about 14km from Nerac, and is a small town with an attractive main square which originally developed more than 1000 years ago around a monastery (the monastery no longer exists).
A visit to Mezin will focus around the lovely paved central square that is dominated by the Church of Saint John the Baptist. This fortified church was built in the roman style over an extended period, from the 11th to the 14th century.
Opposite the church there is a row of attractively galleried arcades and at the top end of the square are more arcades and a pleasant bar from which to soak up the peaceful atmosphere.
Behind the church is another square which looks out over the surrounding 'Pays d'Albret' countryside, and with a round bandstand in the middle of the square, and around the two squares there are some narrow streets of medieval houses to explore.
Sunday morning is market day in Mezin, and a good time to visit.
Mezin is home to the Musee du Liege et du Bouchon. In its heyday Mezin produced 4-5 million corks each week, and the museum is dedicated to the cork making industry and its historical importance to Mezin.
The area around Mezin
The town is set in the peaceful Gascony countryside, with several small picturesque villages to visit nearby including Larressingle and Fourcés (both classified as 'most beautiful villages of France'), and many others that you will discover as you explore the region.
Photos of Mezin
Click any picture to start the gallery
Address: Mézin, Nérac, Lot-et-Garonne, Aquitaine, 47170 || GPS: latitude 44.0575, longitude 0.259167
Map of Mezin & places nearby
Highlights close by
Suggested tourist attractions to visit near Mezin, France
- Fources - most beautiful village (8km)
- Nerac - secteur sauvegarde (11km)
- Montreal-du-Gers - most beautiful village (13km)
- Larressingle - most beautiful village (13km)
- Beaumont sur l'Osee pont d'Artigues (monuments on French pilgrim routes) - heritage site (14km)
- Jardin et arboretum de Coursiana - remarkable garden (21km)
- La Romieu Collegiale St Pierre (monuments on French pilgrim routes) - heritage site (21km)
- Blaziert - ville fleurie 4* (22km)
- Walibi Aquitaine - theme park (25km)
- Eglise de Sainte Marie (Aubiac) - religious monument (26km)
Market days in Mezin: Regular market(s) are held in Mezin each Sunday. (Markets are held in the morning unless stated.)
The French version of this page is at Mezin (Francais)