Mezin , Lot-et-Garonne: tourism & sightseeing
Visit Mezin (Aquitaine, France)Photo Gallery
Mezin is located in the Lot-et-Garonne department of Aquitaine, about 14 kilometres from Nerac. It is a small town with an attractive main square which originally developed more than 1000 years ago around a monastery (the monastery no longer exists).
A visit to Mezin will focus around the lovely paved central square that is dominated by the Church of Saint John the Baptist and appears unchanged since medieval times. This fortified church was built in the roman style over an extended period, from the 11th to the 14th century.
Opposite the church there is a row of attractively galleried arcades and at the top end of the square are more arcades and a pleasant bar from which to soak up the peaceful atmosphere.
Behind the church is another square which looks out over the surrounding 'Pays d'Albret' countryside, and with a round bandstand in the middle of the square, and around the two squares there are some narrow streets of medieval houses to explore.
Sunday morning is market day in Mezin, and a good time to visit.
Mezin is also home to the Musee du Liege et du Bouchon. In its heyday Mezin produced 4-5 million corks each week, and the museum is dedicated to the cork making industry and its historical importance to Mezin.
The most famous resident of Mezin was Armand Fallières, born here in 1841. M Falliéres was President of France from 1906 - 1913.
The area around Mezin
The town is set in the peaceful Gascony countryside with several small picturesque villages to visit nearby including Larressingle and Fourcés , both classified among the 'most beautiful villages of France', and many others that you will discover as you explore the region.
One interesting way to explore the region, known as the Pays d'Albret, is on the small tourist train between Nérac and Mezin although this only operates from late spring to early autumn.
Photos of Mezin
Click any picture to start the gallery
Map of Mezin and places nearby
Visit near Mezin with France This Way reviews
... or see ALL recommended places to visit in Lot-et-Garonne
Address: Mézin, Nérac, Aquitaine, 47170, France || GPS: latitude 44.0575, longitude 0.259167
Plan your visit to Mezin , Lot-et-Garonne
Sightseeing & tourist attractions to visit nearby
- Fources: most beautiful village (8 km)
- Nerac: secteur sauvegarde (11 km)
- Montreal-du-Gers: most beautiful village (13 km)
- Larressingle: most beautiful village (13 km)
- Beaumont sur l'Osee pont d'Artigues (monuments on French pilgrim routes): heritage site (14 km)
- Jardin et arboretum de Coursiana: remarkable garden (21 km)
- La Romieu Collegiale St Pierre (monuments on French pilgrim routes): heritage site (21 km)
- Blaziert: ville fleurie 4* (22 km)
- Walibi Aquitaine: theme park (25 km)
- Eglise de Sainte Marie (Aubiac): religious monument (26 km)
- Prieuré de Sainte Marie (Moirax): religious monument (30 km)
- Lectoure: recommended detour (32 km)
Market days in Mezin , France
Regular market(s) are held in Mezin each Sunday. (Markets are held in the morning unless stated.)
The French version of this page is at Mezin (Francais)