Visit Meze (Languedoc-Roussillon, France)
An occupied settlement since ancient times Meze, on the noth-western coast of the Etang de Thau, is now an important local centre for oyster production. Although tourism has an increasingly important role to play, Meze is currently unspoiled and does not have too many tourists.
Your visit to Meze will focus around the harbour, and the streets in the immediately surounding area.
The harbour, still an active fishing port, is a pleasant place for a stroll, while the town itself has narrow streets to explore in the old town (especially the attractive vaulted passageways).
Part of the ancient ramparts can also be seen along the etang. Other points of interest in Meze include:
- the 17th century Chateau de Girard, rather stark in appearance, and externally not of great interest, the castle plays host to various art exhibitions;
- the Chapel of Penitents;
- the churches of Saint Hilaire (15th century) and Saint-Martin-de-Caux (a quaint roman style church constructed in the 12th century for the pilgrims that passed through the town)
Children will enjoy a visit to the paleontology centre which commemorates the fossils found in the region while also allowing children to learn through their own fossil hunting games.
To see nearby
There are several other small port towns to discover nearby on on the Etang de Thau including Bouzigues (along with Meze, Bouzigues is the centre of oyster production here), Loupian and Balaruc-le-Vieux, each with their own characteristics.
Photos of Meze
Click any picture to start the gallery
Address: Mèze, Montpellier, Herault, Languedoc-Roussillon, 34140 || GPS: latitude 43.427, longitude 3.6058
Map of Meze & places nearby
Highlights close by
Etang de Thau 3km
Suggested tourist attractions to visit near Meze, France
- Etang de Thau - site of natural beauty (3km)
- Etangs du Bagnas - site of natural beauty (15km)
- Pezenas - recommended detour (15km)
- Jardin des carrières de Saint-Adrien - remarkable garden (25km)
- Parc et jardin du château de Margon - remarkable garden (25km)
- Cirque du Moureze - site of natural beauty (29km)
- Montpellier - secteur sauvegarde (30km)
- Grotte de la Clamouse - site of natural beauty (31km)
- Saint Jean de Fos pont du diable (monuments on French pilgrim routes) - heritage site (31km)
- Mare Nostrum - aquarium (32km)
The French version of this page is at Meze (Francais)