Meschers-sur-Gironde, Poitou-Charentes: tourism & sightseeing
Visit Meschers-sur-Gironde (Poitou-Charentes, France)
The section of coast here between Négade Point and Coubre Point is known as the 'Cote de Beauté'. While not a major resort, Meschers is popular with people from the surrounding region.
It is the coast and the beaches that attracts most people to Meschers - the sandy stretches of beach are attractively interspersed with rocky headlands and cliffs. The three main beaches are called Nonnes (the main beach), Vergnes (a little to the north) and Suzac.
Meschers-sur-Gironde also has a small port where there are a number of cafes where you can sit and unwind and admire the pleasure boats.
One historically interesting monument in the town is the church of Saint-Saturnin. Note that the belltower section dates from the 15th century and is much older than the rest of the church (17th century). There is also a small 19th century protestant temple.
The troglodyte Grottes de Regulus caves are another reason that people come to Meschers-sur-Gironde. The caves, carved into the chalky rock along the seafront, have served various purposes over the centuries, from grain storage to hiding contraband, and occasionally they have also been used as homes.
A visit to the caves will also allow you to appreciate the views across the Gironde estuary as you follow the Boulevard de la Falaise around the Point de Meschers to get here. The nearby Matata caves can also be visited.
The Church of Saint-Radegonde on a headland at nearby Talmont, itself listed as one of the 'most beautiful villages in France', is a particular local highlight just a few kilometres south of Meschers-sur-Gironde.
Map of Meschers-sur-Gironde and places to visit
Visit near Meschers-sur-Gironde with France This Way reviews
... or see ALL recommended places to visit in Charente-Maritime
Address: Meschers-sur-Gironde, Cozes, Saintes, Charente-Maritime, Poitou-Charentes, 17132, France || GPS: latitude 45.5575, longitude -0.953889
Plan your visit to Meschers-sur-Gironde, Poitou-Charentes
Sightseeing & tourist attractions to visit nearby
- Forêt de Suzac: site of natural beauty (3km)
- Talmont: most beautiful village (4km)
- Pointe de Suzac: site of natural beauty (6km)
- Pointe de Grave: site of natural beauty (8km)
- Royan: town of art and history (9km)
- Soulac-su-Mer basilique Notre-Dame-de-la-fin-des-Terres (monuments on French pilgrim routes): heritage site (14km)
- Mornac-sur-Seudre: most beautiful village (18km)
- Zoo de la Palmyre: zoo or wildlife park (22km)
- Parcs et jardins du château de Beaulon: remarkable garden (24km)
- Pointe de la Coubre: site of natural beauty (27km)
- Forêt de la Lande: site of natural beauty (27km)
- Forêt domaniale de la Coubre: site of natural beauty (29km)
Market days in Meschers-sur-Gironde, France
A seasonal market is held in Meschers-sur-Gironde on Sunday, Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday. (Markets are held in the morning unless stated.)
The French version of this page is at Meschers-sur-Gironde (Francais)