Visit Meschers-sur-Gironde (Poitou-Charentes, France)
Meschers-sur-Gironde is located between Royan and Talmont on the western coast of France, in the Charente-Maritime department, on the northern edge of the Gironde estuary. The section of coast here is known as the 'Cote de Beauté'.
It is the coast and the beaches that attracts most people to Meschers - the sandy stretches of beach are attractively interspersed with rocky headlands and cliffs. The three main beaches are called Nonnes (the main beach), Vergnes (a little to the north) and Suzac.
Meschers also has a small port where there are a number of cafes where you can sit and unwind and admire the pleasure boats.
It is also the troglodyte Grottes de Regulus that attracts people to Meschers-sur-Gironde. The caves, carved into the chalky rock along the seafront, have served various purposes over the centuries, from grain storage to hiding contraband, and occasionally they have also been used as homes.
A visit to the caves will also allow you to appreciate the views across the Gironde estuary.
The other main historically interesting monument in the town is the church of Saint-Saturnin. Note that the belltower section dates from the 15th century and is much older than the rest of the church (17th century). There is also a small 19th century protestant temple.
The nearby Matata caves can also be visited.
The Church of Saint-Radegonde on a headland at nearby Talmont (itself a listed 'most beautiful village in France') is a particular local highlight just a few kilometres south of Meschers-sur-Gironde.
Photos taken within 10 km
Address: Meschers-sur-Gironde, Cozes, Saintes, Charente-Maritime, Poitou-Charentes, 17132 || GPS: latitude 45.5575, longitude -0.953889
Map of Meschers-sur-Gironde & places nearby
Highlights close by
See lots more places to visit nearby and a more detailed map at places near Meschers-sur-Gironde.
See Poitou-Charentes and Charente-Maritime (the region and department for Meschers-sur-Gironde) for more travel ideas...
Suggested tourist attractions to visit near Meschers-sur-Gironde, France
- Talmont - most beautiful village (4km)
- Royan - town of art and history (9km)
- Soulac-su-Mer basilique Notre-Dame-de-la-fin-des-Terres (monuments on French pilgrim routes) - heritage site (14km)
- Mornac-sur-Seudre - most beautiful village (18km)
- Zoo de la Palmyre - zoo or wildlife park (22km)
- Parcs et jardins du château de Beaulon - remarkable garden (24km)
- Pons ancien hopital des pèlerins (monuments on French pilgrim routes) - heritage site (31km)
- Saintes basilique St Eutrope (monuments on French pilgrim routes) - heritage site (32km)
- La Roche Courbon - remarkable garden (32km)
- Saintes - town of art and history (32km)
Market days in Meschers-sur-Gironde: A seasonal market is held in Meschers-sur-Gironde on Sunday, Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday. (Markets are held in the morning unless stated.)
The French version of this page is at Meschers-sur-Gironde (Francais)