Visit Maurs (Auvergne, France)
The Auvergne town of Maurs (full name Maurs-la-Jolie) is situated to the south-west of the Cantal department, and north-east of Figeac (in the Lot department). The town is listed as a one of four 'small towns of character' in the department.
It is straightforward to explore Maurs - the town centre has preserved the same layout as was established in the Middle Ages, with streets running in circles around the central church, as far as the 'ring-road' around Maurs, which is where the town defences and moat once stood - and which also preserves the original circular shape.
In the old town you can see some medieval half-timbered houses, and also a part of the original town ramparts, and the abbey church.
The weekly market is held in Maurs on a Thursday morning.
Abbatiale Church of Saint-Cesaire
It is the Abbatiale Church of Saint-Cesaire (also known as the Church of Saint Sulpice*) that is much the most important monument in Maurs.
The gothic style church was built in the 14th century church to replace an 11th century church that was destroyed during the Hundred Years War (and also restored in the 17th century after suffering damage during the Wars of Religion).
Admire the stone carving and statues around and above the doorway, then enter the church to see the stalls and misericordes, some wooden statues and 19th century stained glass windows.
The highlight inside the church is a very rare gold-plated and painted bust of Saint Cesaire. A remarkable piece of religious art, in roman style and dating from the 12th century, the bust combines a certain primitive quality with other elements that are more sophisticated.
* The original village Church of Saint-Sulpice in Maurs was detroyed after the revolution, and the abbey church of Saint-Cesaire subsequently took over the role - hence the two names for the church.
Photos taken within 10 km
Address: Maurs, Aurillac, Cantal, Auvergne, 15600 || GPS: latitude 44.7114, longitude 2.1989
Map of Maurs & places nearby
Highlights close by
Suggested tourist attractions to visit near Maurs, France
- Figeac Hopital St Jacques (monuments on French pilgrim routes) - heritage site (18km)
- Figeac - recommended detour (18km)
- Conques pont sur le Dourdou (monuments on French pilgrim routes) - heritage site (20km)
- Conques - most beautiful village (20km)
- Conques abbatiale Sainte-Foy (monuments on French pilgrim routes) - heritage site (20km)
- Assier Chateau - national monument (26km)
- Chateau Montal - national monument (32km)
- Gréalou dolmen de Pech-Laglaire (monuments on French pilgrim routes) - heritage site (33km)
- Autoire - most beautiful village (34km)
- Loubressac - most beautiful village (36km)
Market days in Maurs: Regular market(s) are held in Maurs each Thursday. (Markets are held in the morning unless stated.)
The French version of this page is at Maurs (Francais)