Visit Margaux (Aquitaine, France)
Heading north from Bordeaux, after about 25 kilometres the scenery changes: vineyards start to dominate the landscape, while small areas of woodland conceal impressive wine chateau accessed by long tree lined driveways.
You have entered the Chateau Margaux wine region, one of the most highly regarded in the world (indeed, as you enter the village of Margaux itself, a sign announces that it is 'THE most celebrated' wine name in the world).
With such a reputation, the village of Margaux itself might be something of a disappointment - it is a pleasant enough village, pleasant enough for a stroll and with a few (wine-related) grand houses and chateaux to be seen, but it is small and would probably attract little attention if it wasn't for the famous wine region that surrounds it.
What it does have, apart from being the nerve centre of the wine region, are several wine outlets, and the very informative Chateau Margaux tourist information office. This is an indispensable first stop for wine enthusiasts visiting the Medoc, with details of many of the hundreds of wine chateaux in the region including their opening times, guided tours and prices (ask for the brochure 'Destination Vignobles en Medoc') among others.
Some basic facts about Margaux wines:
- The Margaux wine region includes 79 winegrowers coevring a total area of 3300 acres (1336 hectares)
- Grapes in Margaux wine are usually Cabernet Sauvignon and Merlot, with Cabernet Franc, Malbec and Petit Verdot also used. Merlot is the predominant grape in the full-bodied wines, Cabernet Sauvignon is predominant in the lighter wines
- Our wine specialist recommends that you drink Margaux wines with strong cheeses and roast meats
Photos of Margaux
Click any picture to start the gallery
Address: Margaux, Castelnau-de-Médoc, Bordeaux, Gironde, Aquitaine, 33460 || GPS: latitude 45.041944, longitude -0.675556
Map of Margaux & places nearby
Highlights close by
Bordeaux Waterfront 24km
Suggested tourist attractions to visit near Margaux, France
- Fort Médoc (Vauban fortifications) - heritage site (8km)
- Cussac Fort Paté (Vauban fortifications) - heritage site (8km)
- Parc du château Lanessan - remarkable garden (9km)
- Blaye citadelle (Vauban fortifications) - heritage site (10km)
- Cave Pair-non-Pair - national monument (14km)
- Bordeaux basilique Saint-Seurin (monuments on French pilgrim routes) - heritage site (23km)
- Bordeaux Port - heritage site (24km)
- Bordeaux cathédrale Saint-André (monuments on French pilgrim routes) - heritage site (24km)
- Pey-Berland Tower - national monument (24km)
- Bordeaux basilique Saint-Michel (monuments on French pilgrim routes) - heritage site (25km)
The French version of this page is at Margaux (Francais)