Visit Marcoles (Auvergne, France)
Marcoles is 24km south of Aurillac in the Cantal department of France. Marcolés is at the heart of the south-western part of Cantal in an area known as the Chataigneraie after the chestnut trees that are characteristic of this area.
Marcoles has narrow cobbled streets, stone houses, lots of flowers, slate rooves and a number of half-timber houses. Wandering around its tranquil streets is a pleasure.
Marcoles is a beautiful medieval village which has its origins in the 10th century. It was fortified in the 13th century.
The main square in Marcoles is the Place le la Fontain and from here you can walk through an arched stone gateway and into the medieval village. The Stone gateway dates back to the 15th century the time when the second fortified wall of Marcoles was built.
The first fortified wall was 430m long and a small part of it can still be seen. This is situated near to the lower gateway. The lower gateway dates from the 15th century and the building above the gateway is emblazoned with the town's coat of arms. This building served as the lookout tower for the town.
The church of Saint Martin was built in the 15th century in a gothic style. Inside is an important collection of polychrome (multi-coloured) statues.
At the lower end of the village is another stone gateway called "La fausse porte" or the false door. This is because enemies entered the town through this gateway.
During the last but one weekend of July every year there is a festival with musiciens and story tellers. The festival takes place Thursday, Friday and Saturday.
Photos of Marcoles
Click any picture to start the gallery
Address: Marcolès, Saint-Mamet-la-Salvetat, Aurillac, Cantal, Auvergne, 15220 || GPS: latitude 44.783056, longitude 2.353611
Map of Marcoles & places nearby
Highlights close by
Suggested tourist attractions to visit near Marcoles, France
- Conques abbatiale Sainte-Foy (monuments on French pilgrim routes) - heritage site (21km)
- Conques - most beautiful village (21km)
- Conques pont sur le Dourdou (monuments on French pilgrim routes) - heritage site (21km)
- Tournemire - most beautiful village (32km)
- Figeac Hopital St Jacques (monuments on French pilgrim routes) - heritage site (32km)
- Figeac - recommended detour (32km)
- Estaing - most beautiful village (36km)
- Estaing pont sur le Lot (monuments on French pilgrim routes) - heritage site (36km)
- Assier Chateau - national monument (40km)
- Chateau Montal - national monument (40km)
The French version of this page is at Marcoles (Francais)