Visit Locmariaquer (Brittany, France)
Locmariaquer is a small port town found in the southern Morbihan department of Brittany, on a peninsula to the south of Auray and east of Carnac. It is at the end of the northern 'peninsula' that forms the entrance to the Morbihan Gulf.
Although often bypassed as visitors rush to the very famous dolmen next to the town, you might like to find the time for a quick explore of Locmariaquer itself - although small it is a pleasant town based around its traditional fishing harbour.
There is a church - the Notre Dame de Kerdro - which in part dates back to the 11th century (although one of the highlights is the stained glass windows, dating back to...1960!) and the pretty, simple little chapel du Moustoir to discover. There are also a sprinkling of traditional streets and houses to discover and enjoy.
The town is best known for two things:
1) The first is the great number of important megaliths to be found at the 'Megaliths of Locmariaquer', where three very important neolithic monuments can be seen. Dating back about 7000 years these are the Grand Menhir brisé, the Dolmen de la Table des Marchand and the Tumulus d'Er Grah de Locmariaquer.
Your visit includes a chance to enter inside the dolmen and to see the prehistoric etchings. The site is a listed National Monument.
2) The second is the famous 'Locmariaquer Oysters' which are harvested around the coast here. You can enjoy them in the local restaurants, and as you amble along the coast you will see the oyster beds where they are grown.
It is also possible to take an organised tour (June to September) that will show you the oyster beds, and where the producers will explain the whole process, and how it fits in with the life-cycle of the oyster.
The harbour at Locramiaquer is a popular starting point for trips around the Gulf of Morbihan and associated islands, including some extended trips that last several days.
Photos taken within 10 km
Tourist classifications for Locmariaquer
Locmariaquer is classified as a
Address: Locmariaquer, Auray, Lorient, Morbihan, Brittany, 56740 || GPS: latitude 47.57, longitude -2.94417
Map of Locmariaquer & places nearby
Highlights close by
Port Navalo 3km
Port de Crouesty 5km
Suggested tourist attractions to visit near Locmariaquer, France
- Megaliths of Locmariaquer - national monument
- Carnac - most beautiful village (10km)
- Megalithic site of Carnac - national monument (10km)
- Golfe du Morbihan - site of natural beauty (11km)
- Aquarium de Vannes - aquarium (15km)
- Vannes - town of art and history (17km)
- Jardins de Kerambar’h - remarkable garden (22km)
- Elven - village d'etape (32km)
- La Vraie-Croix - ville fleurie 4* (33km)
- Massif Dunaire de Gavres-Quiberon - grand site of france (33km)
Market days in Locmariaquer: Regular market(s) are held in Locmariaquer each Tuesday & Saturday. (Markets are held in the morning unless stated.)
The French version of this page is at Locmariaquer (Francais)