Visit Lesparre-Medoc (Aquitaine, France)
Lesparre is a quiet town towards the north of the Medoc peninsula in Gironde (north of Bordeaux and the Arcachon basin), which in medieval times was the home to an important local family of lords and has long been the regional administrative centre for this part of the Medoc.
There are a couple of points of interest in Lesparre, the most interesting of them being the large Tower of Honour, a substantial square tower that is all that remains of the medieval castle of the once powerful Lords of Lesparre and now contains a small museum dedictaed to local history and traditions. The tower and museum are only open to visitors during summer months.
There are also two churches in Lesparre:
(1) the gothic style Church of Saint-Trelody, with many decorative elements including small 'towers' on each of the flying buttresses, but be aware that despite the 14th century appearance of the church it is actually 'neo-gothic' and was built in the 19th century, and
(2) the 19th century Church of Notre-Dame-de-l'Assomption, built on the site of an earlier chapel
Other local monuments include the 19th century Palace of Justice and the nearby prison, built at the same time (on rue Gramont), and several other buildings dating from the same period.
You will find all facilities in the small shops along the main high street in Lesparre-Medoc.
Exploring near Lesparre-Médoc
The renowned vineyards and wine chateaux of the Medoc region are to the south-east of Lesparre-Medoc, while various resorts such as Montalivet are on the Atlantic coast are easily eaccessible a little to the west making the town a practical location for exploring both of these very different environments.
Photos of Lesparre-Medoc
Click any picture to start the gallery
Address: Lesparre-Médoc, Gironde, Aquitaine, 33340 || GPS: latitude 45.307778, longitude -0.936389
Map of Lesparre-Medoc & places nearby
Highlights close by
Suggested tourist attractions to visit near Lesparre-Medoc, France
- Parcs et jardins du château de Beaulon - remarkable garden (23km)
- Talmont - most beautiful village (25km)
- Parc du château Lanessan - remarkable garden (27km)
- Soulac-su-Mer basilique Notre-Dame-de-la-fin-des-Terres (monuments on French pilgrim routes) - heritage site (27km)
- Fort Médoc (Vauban fortifications) - heritage site (29km)
- Blaye citadelle (Vauban fortifications) - heritage site (29km)
- Cussac Fort Paté (Vauban fortifications) - heritage site (29km)
- Royan - town of art and history (35km)
- Pons ancien hopital des pèlerins (monuments on French pilgrim routes) - heritage site (42km)
- Jonzac - recommended detour (42km)
The French version of this page is at Lesparre-Medoc (Francais)