Les Matelles, Herault: tourism & sightseeing
Visit Les Matelles (Languedoc-Roussillon, France)Photo Gallery
Les Matelles is a picturesque village in the Herault department, not far from Montpellier, in the south of France.
Exploring Les Matelles
Les Matelles is an attractive, small medieval village situated at the foot of Pic Saint-Loup. It is surrounded by vines and olive groves and is a pleasant 15km drive from Montpellier to the south.
The village developed around its church from the 12th to the 15th centuries and was fortified in the 15th century by ramparts surrounding the village. Unfortunately these did not withstand a Protestant assault in the early 17th century when the church was partially destroyed.
When the troops left the catholics once again gained control and repaired the church and ramparts and added the clock and bell tower to the church above the gateway.
Since those times little has changed in Les Matelles and wandering through its ancient streets is like a trip back in time.
Les Matelles is entered through one of its stone gateways and the village winds gently upwards to the Place de la Chateau - though there is nothing here resembling a chateau! The streets are narrow and paved and lined with attractive stone houses.
Of interest in Les Matelles are its church and a small museum of pre-history which is housed in the Maison des Consuls.
Outside of the medieval walls is a dry riverbed with a small stream running in it. This only has much water in it after heavy rains.
Les Matelles was the adopted home of the Algerian authoress Albertine Sarrazin who wrote L'Astragale. It was also the birthplace of Pierre Granier who sculpted some of the statues for the Chateau de Versailles.
The surrounding countryside is very pretty and good for walking.
The beautiful city of Montpellier is about 15km south of Les Matelles.
The attractive village of Saint-Martin-de-Londres is to the north.
Photos of Les Matelles
Click a photo to start the gallery
Map of Les Matelles and places to visit
Visit near Les Matelles with France This Way reviews
... or see ALL recommended places to visit in Herault
Address: Matelles, Montpellier, Herault, Languedoc-Roussillon, 34270, France || GPS: latitude 43.7314, longitude 3.8094
Plan your visit to Les Matelles, Herault
Sightseeing & tourist attractions to visit nearby
- Parc zoologique de Lunaret: zoo or wildlife park (11 km)
- Montpellier: secteur sauvegarde (14 km)
- Parc et jardins du château de Flaugergues: remarkable garden (16 km)
- Mare Nostrum: aquarium (17 km)
- Grotte des Demoiselles: site of natural beauty (20 km)
- Saint Jean de Fos pont du diable (monuments on French pilgrim routes): heritage site (20 km)
- Saint-Guilhem-le-Desert / Gorges de l'Herault: grand site of france (21 km)
- St Guilhem le Desert ancienne abbaye (monuments on French pilgrim routes): heritage site (21 km)
- Grotte de la Clamouse: site of natural beauty (21 km)
- Saint-Guilhem-le-Desert: most beautiful village (21 km)
- Sommieres: secteur sauvegarde (23 km)
- Étangs palavasiens: site of natural beauty (25 km)
The French version of this page is at Les Matelles (Francais)