Visit Lauzun (Aquitaine, France)
Although small, Lauzun has all facilities and is a pleasant town to explore, with some attractive medieval houses to admire in the centre and the surrounding streets before strolling up to the castle.
The church of Saint-Etienne in Lauzun was originally built in the roman style, as you can see in the ornate doorway of the main facade, but the rest of the church has been much modified since, pariculary during the 19th century
Lauzun market is held on a Saturday morning.
Settled since Roman times, Lauzun gained in importance from the 13th century onwards at which stage the local lords started to develop the small existing castle into a major defensive structure. The castle was much modified in the 16th-17th centuries to make it more comfortable for living in, and is now the major monument in the town.
The separate parts of Lauzun castle are clearly visible: the original castle, that was the major residence until the 16th century; the middle section that joins the old castle to the newer part; and the 'new' Renaissance wing of the castle with - the ornate doorway is very typical of the style. The castle is set around a nicely maintained garden courtyard.
The castle is open July and august, afternoons only.
Although Lauzun itself won't detain you for long, be sure to spend some time exploring the other towns along the Dropt Valley, a very pleasant region of medieval towns and villages that follow the course of the river through a rolling landscape of small woodlands and small farms. Among our personal favourite highlights nearby are the bastide town of Eymet and the frescoes in the small church at Allemans-du-Dropt.
Photos taken within 10 km
Address: Lauzun, Marmande, Lot-et-Garonne, Aquitaine, 47410 || GPS: latitude 44.630833, longitude 0.461389
Map of Lauzun & places nearby
Highlights close by
Suggested tourist attractions to visit near Lauzun, France
- Parc et potager de Pouthet - remarkable garden (6km)
- Bergerac - ville fleurie 4* (24km)
- Monflanquin - most beautiful village (27km)
- Jardin du cloître Notre-Dame - remarkable garden (27km)
- Jardins de Beauchamp - remarkable garden (27km)
- Eglise de Sainte Livrade (Sainte-Livrade-sur-Lot) - religious monument (28km)
- Ets Latour-Marliac - remarkable garden (28km)
- Eglise Sainte-Croix (Beaumont-du-Perigord) - religious monument (32km)
- Saint-Avit Eglise (monuments on French pilgrim routes) - heritage site (32km)
- Pujols - most beautiful village (33km)
The French version of this page is at Lauzun (Francais)