Lauzun, Aquitaine: tourism & sightseeing
Visit Lauzun (Aquitaine, France)
Lauzun is a small town in the northern Lot-et-Garonne between Eymet and Castillones (south of Bergerac), where it is one of several towns spread along the Dropt Valley. Although small, Lauzun has all facilities and is a pleasant town to explore, with some attractive medieval houses to admire in the centre and the surrounding streets before strolling up to the castle.
The most interesting house is perhaps is the 'House of the Caryatids' with four statues behind a wrought-iron balcony and an ornate roof line.
The church of Saint-Etienne in Lauzun was originally built in the roman style, as you can see in the ornate doorway of the main facade, but the rest of the church has been much modified since, particularly during renovation works in the 19th century
Lauzun market is held on a Saturday morning.
Settled since Roman times, Lauzun gained in importance from the 13th century onwards at which stage the local lords started to develop the small existing castle into a major defensive structure. The castle was much modified in the 16th-17th centuries to make it more comfortable for living in, and is now the major monument in the town.
The separate parts of Lauzun castle are clearly visible: the original castle, that was the major residence until the 16th century; the middle section that joins the old castle to the newer part; and the 'new' Renaissance wing of the castle with - the ornate doorway is very typical of the style. The castle is set around a nicely maintained garden courtyard.
The castle is open July and august, afternoons only.
Although Lauzun itself won't detain you for long, be sure to spend some time exploring the other towns along the Dropt Valley, a very pleasant region of medieval towns and villages that follow the course of the river through a rolling landscape of small woodlands and small farms. Among our personal favourite highlights nearby are the bastide town of Eymet and the frescoes in the small church at Allemans-du-Dropt.
Map of Lauzun and places to visit
Visit near Lauzun with France This Way reviews
... or see ALL recommended places to visit in Lot-et-Garonne
Address: Lauzun, Marmande, Lot-et-Garonne, Aquitaine, 47410, France || GPS: latitude 44.630833, longitude 0.461389
Plan your visit to Lauzun, Aquitaine
Sightseeing & tourist attractions to visit nearby
- Parc et potager de Pouthet: remarkable garden (6km)
- Bergerac: ville fleurie 4* (24km)
- Monflanquin: most beautiful village (27km)
- Jardins de Beauchamp: remarkable garden (27km)
- Jardin du cloître Notre-Dame: remarkable garden (27km)
- Eglise de Sainte Livrade (Sainte-Livrade-sur-Lot): religious monument (28km)
- Ets Latour-Marliac: remarkable garden (28km)
- Eglise Sainte-Croix (Beaumont-du-Perigord): religious monument (32km)
- Saint-Avit Eglise (monuments on French pilgrim routes): heritage site (32km)
- Pujols: most beautiful village (33km)
- Jardins du Sardy: remarkable garden (38km)
- Eglise de Saint-Hilaire et Eglise de Saint-Nicholas (Tremolat): religious monument (40km)
The French version of this page is at Lauzun (Francais)