Visit La Reole (Aquitaine, France)
The town of La Reole is found in Gironde (south-west France), on the banks of the Garonne River between Marmande and Saint-Macaire.
I had never even heard of La Reole, and discovered it by chance as I was passing - and was very glad I did. There is a great deal to discover and enjoy in the substantial town and a visit is recommended.
Broadly the town consists of a traditional centre with narrow, often cobbled, streets lined with shops and interesting buildings, many medieval colombage houses, that lead to the original 12th century town hall; and the more substantial buildings along the Garonne River to the west of La Reole. The carefully laid out and well signposted walking tour of the town is an excellent way to discover the highlights - follow the signs marked 'Circuit Pedestre'.
Among the highlights:
- The 12th century Town Hall - built for Richard the Lionheart, it is the oldest town hall in France (not currently used as the town hall)
- Medieval and colombage houses in the old town around the old town hall
- The Church of Saint Pierre / abbey / priory / current town hall buildings to the west of the old town. The walking circuit of the town takes you through these buildings to see the courtyard, corridors and great staircase inside.
- The 12th century castle in La Reole - the chateau des Quat'sos on the Garonne River has three of its original towers standing. The garden below the castle has recently been redeveloped after centuries of neglect
- The ramparts and the ancient public wash-house, the Lavoir de la Marmory
Photos of La Reole
Click any picture to start the gallery
Address: Réole, Langon, Gironde, Aquitaine, 33190 || GPS: latitude 44.592423, longitude -0.040169
Map of La Reole & places nearby
Highlights close by
Suggested tourist attractions to visit near La Reole, France
- Jardin du cloître Notre-Dame - remarkable garden (18km)
- Jardins de Beauchamp - remarkable garden (18km)
- Jardins du château de Malle - remarkable garden (21km)
- Bazas cathédrale St Jean Baptist (monuments on French pilgrim routes) - heritage site (22km)
- Cadillac Chateau - national monument (23km)
- Sauve-Majeure Abbey - national monument (29km)
- La Sauve Majeure abbaye (monuments on French pilgrim routes) - heritage site (29km)
- La Sauve église St Pierre (monuments on French pilgrim routes) - heritage site (29km)
- Montcaret Archaeological site - national monument (31km)
- Jardins du Sardy - remarkable garden (32km)
The French version of this page is at La Reole (Francais)