Gorges de la Fou
Visit Gorges de la Fou (Languedoc-Roussillon, France)
The Gorges de la Fou are a deep natural gorge in the Tech Valley west of Ceret, in the southern Languedoc-Roussillon region (follow the road towards Prats de Mollo) that have been carved by a fast moving stream over the course of millions over years
The gorges are now a paid 'attraction', with a walkway running a couple of kilometres along the bottom of a very narrow and steep-sided gorge.
As you follow the path the cliffs rise up to 200 metres above you, and at times you can barely see the daylight above the gorge as they squeeze in on the path, while at other times the path opens wider.
While it is perhaps a shame that it has been necessary to place a metal walkway, and protection nets overhead, which detract a little from the natural environment - in truth the gorges would be otherwise impossible to see. Certainly it makes it much easier to visit with children...!
We enjoyed visiting these gorges, and are able to recommended a visit.
Note: the word 'fou' doesn't come from the French word for 'mad', as you might expect, but from the catalan word for 'precipice'.
Bring water if it is a hot day - although you are often in the shade it still can be very warm.
Be aware that although it is quite an easy walk through the Gorges de la Fou there are also quite a few steps along the way.
The Gorges de la Fou are open to the public from April to November, entry price about 9 euros for an adult or 5 euros for a child (varies according to season). During the summer the slightly higher admission charge to Gorges de la Fou also includes admission to a falconry display in Arles-sur-Tech (we visited outside the summer so didn't see this).
Photos of Gorges de la Fou
Click any picture to start the gallery
Address: Gorges de la Fou, Pyrenees-Orientales, Languedoc-Roussillon || GPS: latitude 42.457, longitude 2.6344
Map of Gorges de la Fou & places nearby
Highlights close by
Arles sur Tech 0km
Mount Canigou 16km
See lots more places to visit nearby and a more detailed map at places near Gorges de la Fou.
See Languedoc-Roussillon and Pyrenees-Orientales (the region and department for Gorges de la Fou) for more travel ideas...
Suggested tourist attractions to visit near Gorges de la Fou, France
- Massif du Canigou - grand site of france (16km)
- Chapel Saint-Martin de Fenollar (Maureillas-las-Illas) - religious monument (16km)
- Prieuré de Serrabone (Boule-d'Amont) - religious monument (16km)
- Castelnou - most beautiful village (19km)
- Abbaye Saint Martin du Canigou (Casteil) - religious monument (20km)
- Abbaye Saint Michel de Cuixa (Codalet) - religious monument (24km)
- Orgued d'Ille-sur-Tet - site of natural beauty (24km)
- Chapelle de Casenoves (Ille-sur-tet) - religious monument (24km)
- Eglise de Trinité d'Aregno (Aregno) - religious monument (24km)
- Eglise de Sainte-Marie (Corneilla-de-Conflent) - religious monument (24km)
The French version of this page is at Gorges de la Fou (Francais)