Visit Flavigny (Burgundy, France)
Flavigny-sur-Ozerain is a small medieval fortified town, with sturdy walls surrounding the narrow winding streets that weave between the traditional medieval Burgundy houses - some more grand affairs, and others more humble, constructed in the attractive light local stone of the region.
As you set off to walk around Flavigny be sure to explore along the alleys, for that is where you will find much of the hidden charm of this pretty village such as the turreted houses and other medieval architectural features. Flavigny have placed quite a few maps in the streets that highlight where you are, and which houses and features can be seen nearby, which is very helpful in making the most of your visit.
Flavigny-sur-Ozerain is also well known for its religious buildings - above all the church of St Genest and the Benedictine abbey of Saint Pierre:
- the Abbey of Saint-Pierre was founded in 717 and occupied from the early Middle ages until the French Revolution. In the 1840's the monks were able to return, to a rebuilt portion of the abbey. No longer in use the abbey has a small crypt where you can see various related artefacts (free entry).
- the Church of Saint Geneste represents the centre of Flavigny, has impressive carved stalls and a 12th century carving of the Madonna.
Other places of interest to note in the village include the Maison du Donataire and the formidable entry gates, part of the towns medieval fortifications.
Flavigny was almost completely deserted when I visited in September and has little in the way of facilities, so is presumably not a major part of the Burgundy tourist trail. Curious, because it has one of the most extensive unspoiled medieval centres I have seen.
Flavigny is also known for its aniseed balls, which are produced in the town in a small enterprise next to the old abbey - you can smell the aniseed in the air as you get close! It is possible to visit the factory to see how aniseed is produced (9.00-10.45 Monday to Friday, closed weekends, bank holidays and the first three weeks of August, so visits need to be timed carefully!)
Another interesting fact: the popular film 'Chocolat' was largely shot in Flavigny.
Photos of Flavigny
Click any picture to start the gallery
Tourist classifications for Flavigny
Flavigny is classified as a one of the most beautiful village in France (plus beau villages)
Address: Flavigny-sur-Ozerain, Venarey-les-Laumes, Montbard, Cote d'Or, Burgundy, 21150 || GPS: latitude 47.5128, longitude 4.53194
Map of Flavigny & places nearby
Highlights close by
Fontenay Abbey 17km
Suggested tourist attractions to visit near Flavigny, France
- Alesia - grand site of france (4km)
- Bussy-Rabutin Chateau - national monument (5km)
- Potager du château de Lantilly - remarkable garden (12km)
- Abbaye de Fontenay - remarkable garden (18km)
- Fontenay Abbey - heritage site (18km)
- Abbaye de Fontenay (Montbard) - religious monument (19km)
- Jardin du moulin de Athie - remarkable garden (22km)
- Parc et jardin du château de Barbirey sur Ouche - remarkable garden (33km)
- Chateauneuf-en-Auxois - most beautiful village (34km)
- Basilique de Saint Andoche (Saulieu) - religious monument (34km)
The French version of this page is at Flavigny (Francais)