Visit Faycelles (Midi-Pyrenees, France)
Faycelles is a village to the south-west of Figeac, in an imposing position along the edge of a hill with far-reaching views. The location has been occupied since antiquity, both in neolithic times and during the roman era. The village we see today was developed as a bastide town in the 13th century.
The views of the village as you arrive are one of the highlights of a visit to Faycelles (the best view of the village is from the road towards Cajarc).
Faycelles itself is quite small but deserves a visit when you are in the vicinity. The historical centre is based around the Place Gaillarde and along the road called La Tourelle. Here you can see the church and a few other buildings of interest.
The small round tower overlooking the valley below, the Tour Gaillarde, is all that remains of a castle that once stood in the centre of the village until destroyed by Richelieu in the 17th century (the current church was built in the 19th century on the site of the castle).
The views across the countryside from here and elsewhere along the western edge of the village are very impressive.
There are also various traditional structures in the countryside nearby such as bories and pigeonniers - see the sign in the parking at the edge of the village for details of walks that visit these.
Two exceptionally scenic river valleys are close to Faycelles. The valley of the river Lot west from here towards Saint-Cirq-Lapopie, and the valley of the river Célé a little way to the north both have a great deal to enjoy.
Photos of Faycelles
Click any picture to start the gallery
Address: Faycelles, Figeac-Ouest, Figeac, Lot, Midi-Pyrenees, 46100 || GPS: latitude 44.566389, longitude 1.987222
Map of Faycelles & places nearby
Highlights close by
Suggested tourist attractions to visit near Faycelles, France
- Figeac - recommended detour (6km)
- Figeac Hopital St Jacques (monuments on French pilgrim routes) - heritage site (6km)
- Gréalou dolmen de Pech-Laglaire (monuments on French pilgrim routes) - heritage site (10km)
- Assier Chateau - national monument (15km)
- Causses du Quercy - regional natural parc (24km)
- Villefranche-de-Rouergue - recommended detour (24km)
- Saint-Cirq-Lapopie - most beautiful village (28km)
- Conques pont sur le Dourdou (monuments on French pilgrim routes) - heritage site (32km)
- Conques - most beautiful village (33km)
- Conques abbatiale Sainte-Foy (monuments on French pilgrim routes) - heritage site (33km)
The French version of this page is at Faycelles (Francais)