Visit Eynesse (Aquitaine, France)
Although there isn't a great deal to see here, a stop in Eynesse for a stroll is recommended when you are passing - there is a cafe, a small temple, a village church, and also a picturesque street of houses that runs down to the Dordogne river and nice views in both directions.
There are also two small museums in Eynesse village, one dedicated to the Burette (oil cans, with thousands of cans for all purposes, from olive oil dispensing to oil lamp fillers) and the other museum dedicated to old agricultural machinery and tools. Find them down the lane towards the river.
A scenic drive through Eynesse
I came across Eynesse because I was following the scenic drive that heads westwards, along the southern side of the river, from Sainte-Foy-la-Grande (along the D130).
This scenic route has quite a few glimpses of the Dordogne river and passes through attractive countryside, eventually reaching the bridge at Pessac-sur-Dordogne. Only about 15km total, and makes for a nice drive or bike ride - a nice alternative to the busy road that follows the same route north of the river. (The Gironde department is south of the river while the Dordogne department is north of the river).
Particular local highlights include the Gardens at Sardy, where both formal and informal gardens run down the hill below an attractive manor house.
The mosaics at Montcaret, an excavated roman villa that is a listed national monument, are just a few kilometres west of Eynesse.
Photos of Eynesse
Click any picture to start the gallery
Address: Eynesse, Sainte-Foy-la-Grande, Libourne, Gironde, Aquitaine, 33220 || GPS: latitude 44.826111, longitude 0.155278
Map of Eynesse & places nearby
Highlights close by
Suggested tourist attractions to visit near Eynesse, France
- Jardins du Sardy - remarkable garden (5km)
- Montcaret Archaeological site - national monument (8km)
- Eglise de Saint Pierre (Petit-Palais-et-Cornemps) - religious monument (24km)
- Collégiale et chapelle de la Trinité (Saint-Emilion) - religious monument (26km)
- Saint-Emilion - heritage site (26km)
- Parc et potager de Pouthet - remarkable garden (26km)
- Bergerac - ville fleurie 4* (26km)
- Jardins du château de Montréal - remarkable garden (31km)
- Jardin du cloître Notre-Dame - remarkable garden (35km)
- Jardins de Beauchamp - remarkable garden (35km)
The French version of this page is at Eynesse (Francais)