Visit Excideuil (Aquitaine, France)
Excideuil is a market town in the northern half of the Dordogne department, about 30 kilometres north-east of Perigueux, the capital of the department.
Excideuil has an attractive town square which grew up around a 10th century monastery. All that now remains of the monastery is the church but this is an attractive building with doorways surrounded by carvings. These stone doorways date from the 15th century.
Surrounding the church are lots of impressive buildings, some of which date back to the 16th century and many are from the 17th and 18th century. During this time Excideuil was exempted from paying tax and had a thriving iron mining industry, so lots of imposing houses were built for the wealthy mine owners and traders who came to the town.
The castle in the town is set high on a rocky promontory, and successfully repelled Richard the Lionheart on three different occasions - although the main castle is not open to the public it can be admired from the outside.
Excideuil also has a hospital which is thought to date back to the 12th century when it was a convent. This is one of the oldest buildings in the region.
Market day is Thursday and this is a particularly good day to visit the town. The Excideuil market is one of the best in the area.
Excideuil is in the northern part of the Dordogne department in attractive rolling countryside with the Perigord-Limousin Natural Park a little way to the north.
The recently discovered Grottes of Tourtoirac are also nearby and these contain an impressive display of stalactites and stalagmites. Tourtoirac is an attractive village to the south of Excideuil with the remains of an attractive abbey.
Photos of Excideuil
Click any picture to start the gallery
Address: Excideuil, Périgueux, Dordogne, Aquitaine, 24160 || GPS: latitude 45.337, longitude 1.0502
Map of Excideuil & places nearby
Highlights close by
Chateau de Hautefort 11km
Chateau de Jumilhac 17km
Suggested tourist attractions to visit near Excideuil, France
- Jardins du château de Hautefort - remarkable garden (11km)
- Eglise Notre Dame de l'Assomption (Thiviers) - religious monument (13km)
- Saint-Jean-de-Cole - most beautiful village (19km)
- Segur-le-Chateau - most beautiful village (22km)
- Saint-Yrieix-la-Perche - recommended detour (23km)
- Chateau de Puyguilhem - national monument (25km)
- Abbaye Cistercienne de Boschaud (Villars) - religious monument (25km)
- Perigueux - town of art and history (30km)
- Perigueux cathédrale Saint Front (monuments on French pilgrim routes) - heritage site (31km)
- Jardins de l'Imaginaire - remarkable garden (31km)
Market days in Excideuil: Regular market(s) are held in Excideuil each Thursday. (Markets are held in the morning unless stated.)
The French version of this page is at Excideuil (Francais)