Visit Entraygues (Midi-Pyrenees, France)
Entraygues (full name Entraygues-sur-Truyere) is situated in the Aveyron department, on the Lot River - which is also joined by the Truyere River in the village (hence the name of the village which comes from the occitan for 'between the waters') .
In an attractive wooded valley setting, the historic part of the town and the castle are surrounded by a bend in the Truyere River.
In Entraygues old town there is much to admire, with half-timbered houses dating from the 15th century and narrow streets to explore. The Truyere is crossed by a scenic 13th cenrtury stone bridge (now a listed historic monument), while another bridge crosses the Lot river in the town and also dates from the 13th century.
Note: you will see that the arches of one of the bridges are slightly pointed - this is an unusual example of the influence of gothic architecture on bridge construction at that time.
The current castle at Entraygues dates from the 17th century - with some remains from the much older, 13th century castle including the two imposing square towers. (The rest of the original Chateau de Entraygues was destroyed in the 16th century.) The whole town at that time was fortified, surrounded by a moat and entered by a drawbridge, but very little of the fortifications still exists.
There is also an interesting small chapel to see, dating in part from the 11th century. The larger adjacent part of the chapel is more recent (17th century).
Even closer to Entraygues visit the small villages of Le Fel, Espeyrac, Golinhac and Saint-Hippolyte - each small and with no 'great sites' but with their own particular charms and Estaing, one of the 'plus beaux villages de France' is only 17km away.
The Gorges de la Truyère lie just outside Entraygues, along the river valley, and are also a very scenic detour, along with the Lot Valley itself. Indeed, the countryside in all directions deserves exploring - there is little to disappoint!
Photos of Entraygues
Click any picture to start the gallery
Address: Entraygues-sur-Truyère, Rodez, Aveyron, Midi-Pyrenees, 12140 || GPS: latitude 44.6472, longitude 2.5675
Map of Entraygues & places nearby
Highlights close by
Suggested tourist attractions to visit near Entraygues, France
- Estaing - most beautiful village (13km)
- Estaing pont sur le Lot (monuments on French pilgrim routes) - heritage site (13km)
- Conques abbatiale Sainte-Foy (monuments on French pilgrim routes) - heritage site (14km)
- Conques - most beautiful village (15km)
- Conques pont sur le Dourdou (monuments on French pilgrim routes) - heritage site (15km)
- Espalion Pont Vieux (monuments on French pilgrim routes) - heritage site (21km)
- Jardin d'Eden du château du Colombier - remarkable garden (24km)
- Saint-Come-d'Olt - most beautiful village (24km)
- St Chely d'Aubrac pont des pèlerins (monuments on French pilgrim routes) - heritage site (29km)
- Belcastel - most beautiful village (34km)
Market days in Entraygues: Regular market(s) are held in Entraygues each Friday &. A seasonal market is held in Entraygues on Tuesday & Wednesday. (Markets are held in the morning unless stated.)
The French version of this page is at Entraygues (Francais)