Visit Provencal Drome (Rhone-Alpes, France)
The Drome - Provencal region of France is a part of the Rhone-Alps region, in the Drome department along the border with Provence. It shares many characteristics with its southern neighbour, hence the reason why the southern third of the Drome department is called 'Drome Provencal'
The region roughly covers the area between Montélimar to the west, Rosans and Orpierre to the east, and Séderon to the south-east, with other towns in the region including Grignan, Valreas, Pierrelatte, Dieulefit, Buis les Baronnies and Saint Paul Trois Chateaux.
Not so much a land of high drama as one of gentle rolling beauty, with the occasional rocky outcrop, the provencal Drome is the perfect place to take it easy and to simply relax in the lovely surroundings of quaint old villages, sunflowers and olive trees
Perhaps above all it is for the extensive lavender fields that colour the landscape blue and purple for much of the summer that the region is best known.
There are numerous small villages that dot the Drome region - among the attractive villages are Aubres, Grignan, Dieulefit, Suze-la-Rousse, Nyons, Buis-les-Barronnies in its lovely gentle mountain setting, and Rousset-les-Vignes.
Among the most popular with visitors, the village of Montbrun-les-Bains in the south-east of the Drome-Provence is classified as a 'most beautiful village of France' as are Le Poet-Laval (east of Montelimar) and La Garde-Adhemar (south-west near Pierrelatte). Few of the little villages in the region will disappoint however, and each has something new to explore and discover.
Vaison-la-Romaine is also well placed to explore the region, although it falls just across the border in Provence.
Photos taken within 10 km
Address: Drôme Provençal, Drome, Rhone-Alpes || GPS: latitude 44.524, longitude 5.065
Map of Provencal Drome & places nearby
Highlights close by
Le Poet-Laval 4km
Suggested tourist attractions to visit near Provencal Drome, France
- Abbaye d'Aiguebelle (Montjoyer) - religious monument (18km)
- Nyons - recommended detour (19km)
- Crest - recommended detour (23km)
- Mirmande - most beautiful village (27km)
- Abbatiale Sainte-Marie (Cruas) - religious monument (28km)
- Eglise de Saint Michel (La Garde-Adhemar) - religious monument (29km)
- Jardin des herbes - remarkable garden (29km)
- Viviers - secteur sauvegarde (30km)
- Cathédrale Notre-Dame (Saint-Paul-Trois-Chateaux) - religious monument (31km)
- Cathédrale Notre Dame de Nazareth (Vaison-la-Romaine) - religious monument (31km)
The French version of this page is at Provencal Drome (Francais)