Crissay-sur-Manse tourism & sightseeing
Visit Crissay-sur-Manse (Loire Valley, France)
Crissay-sur-Manse is a village in the Indre-et-Loire department, in the picturesque Manse valley to the east of Chinon and south-west from Tours. A small village with little more than 100 inhabitants, it is classified as one of the 'most beautiful villages in France'.
The pretty small houses typically date from the 15th and 16th centuries and are built in the very-white stone that is characteristic of the region.
Your explorations of Crissay-sur-Manse take you along narrow streets passed houses that have numerous little medieval architectural features such as ornate roof and leaded windows, steep slate roofs and turrets.* There are also numerous gardens in the village, which is in a picturesque countryside setting.
Perhaps most importantly there is very little in the way of recent developments in Crissay (occasional house renovations excluded) which greatly contributes to having a sense of the age and history of the village and making it a pleasure to amble around.
Indeed the village sits so well in the surrounding landscape that with some of the houses it is unclear where 'building' ends and cliff-face begins!
Among particular monuments in Crissay-sur-Manse you can see a substantial 15th century castle, now in ruins; the 16th century village Church of Saint Maurice, and a traditional washhouse on the Manse river.
* The local white rock is called tufa and is soft enough to be carved quite easily, hence its widespread use in the decorative elements of builidings in the region, including renaissance style castles
Map of Crissay-sur-Manse and places to visit
Visit near Crissay-sur-Manse with France This Way reviews
... or see ALL recommended places to visit in Indre-et-Loire
Crissay-sur-Manse is classified as a one of the most beautiful village in France (plus beau villages)
Address: Crissay-sur-Manse, Île-Bouchard, Chinon, Indre-et-Loire, Loire Valley, 37220, France || GPS: latitude 47.1508, longitude 0.488611
Plan your visit to Crissay-sur-Manse, Loire Valley
Sightseeing & tourist attractions to visit nearby
- Chateau d'Azay-le-Rideau: national monument (12km)
- Les jardins de la Chatonnière: remarkable garden (12km)
- Les jardins du château du Rivau: remarkable garden (14km)
- Chinon: secteur sauvegarde (18km)
- Richelieu: secteur sauvegarde (20km)
- Les jardins du château de Villandry: remarkable garden (21km)
- Les jardins du prieuré de Saint-Cosme: remarkable garden (30km)
- Saint-Cyr-sur-Loire: ville fleurie 4* (31km)
- Cloisters of la Psalette: national monument (31km)
- Tours: town of art and history (31km)
The French version of this page is at Crissay-sur-Manse (Francais)