Visit Coulon (Poitou-Charentes, France)
Coulon is in the Deux-Sevres department, west of Niort and at the centre of the Marais-Poitevin region. The waterside town lies on the banks of the Sèvre and has appointed itself 'capital of Green Venice' with some justification.
Coulon is well placed to explore the marshy region around the village which is also now listed as one of the most beautiful villages of France.
The region has been inhabited a very long time - neolithic remains, bronze age items, and roman relics have all been found close by. However the village as we see it today 'only' dates back some 1200 years.
The village long retained an important role, because of its position as transport link on the river, with salt being a particularly important commodity - a role that diminished after the railways came to dominate transportation in the region.
Coulon today is a pleasant town alongside the river, so take time for a wander around the town before heading off into the marshes. Be sure to pass by the Place de la Coutume to see the Maison des Marais, established in the old customs house (businesses operating on the river used to have to pay custom taxes).
You can also visit the Church of Saint-Trinity, and to stroll along the town quais. The Church of Saint Trinity was originally established here in 830 but was rebuilt several times, the most recent being in the the 17th century after the earlier church was burned to the ground.
The village also pays particular attention to detail for example in its colourful shutters, which also adds to the appeal.
Coulon is a popular starting point for those hiring boats to venture into the peaceful marshes. For more details about activities and attractions in the region see details at Marais-Poitevin.
Photos of Coulon
Click any picture to start the gallery
Tourist classifications for Coulon
Coulon is classified as a one of the most beautiful village in France (plus beau villages)
Address: Coulon, Niort-Ouest, Niort, Deux-Sevres, Poitou-Charentes, 79510 || GPS: latitude 46.3242, longitude -0.583889
Map of Coulon & places nearby
Highlights close by
Marais Poitevin 3km
Maillezais abbey 13km
Suggested tourist attractions to visit near Coulon, France
- Eglise de Saint-Eulalie (Benet) - religious monument (5km)
- Marais Poitevin - grand site of france (6km)
- Abbaye Saint Pierre et Eglise de Saint Nicolas (Maillezais) - religious monument (13km)
- Abbaye Royale (Nieul-sur-l'Autise) - religious monument (13km)
- Eglise de Notre-Dame de l'Assomption (Maille) - religious monument (16km)
- Baie de l'Aiguillon - site of natural beauty (19km)
- Fontenay-le-Comte - recommended detour (23km)
- Natur'Zoo de Mervent - zoo or wildlife park (24km)
- Zoodyssée - zoo or wildlife park (25km)
- Eglise de Notre-Dame (Vouvant) - religious monument (31km)
The French version of this page is at Coulon (Francais)