Chateau de Montfort
Visit Chateau de Montfort (Aquitaine, France)
The Chateau de Montfort sits literally on a rocky ledge overhanging the cliffs, village and river below.
Montfort has had a turbulent history, starting with the renowned cathar, Bernard de Casnac, who lived in the chateau, and swore to 'cut into pieces all the catholics in the region'. But life was never simple for the cathars and Casnac soon attracted the attentions of Simon de Montfort, who succeded in seizing the castle and removing Casnac.
There is a popular legend at the chateau that the daughter of Casnac was burned to death at Montfort, and that her ghost still haunts the chateau.
The Château de Montfort has undergone a great deal of change, rebuilding and enlargement during the 800 years that it has been here, but still remains an imposing monument.
In the tiny village huddled below the substantial ramparts there are some attractive houses in the yellow stone traditionally used in the Dordogne.
Views of the Chateau de Montfort
Unfortunately you will have to be satisfied with seeing the attractive château from the village outside - it is not open to the public.
Better views can be had nearby than in the village itself - there is a good view of the castle if you look back from a little way along the road towards Carsac, and like Chateau Beynac the river also gives an impressive view if you are passing by in a canoe.
See more Dordogne castles.
Photos taken within 10 km
Address: Château de Montfort, Dordogne, Aquitaine || GPS: latitude 44.881, longitude 1.27694
Map of Chateau de Montfort & places nearby
Highlights close by
La Roque-Gageac 10km
Gourdon (Lot) 11km
See lots more places to visit nearby and a more detailed map at places near Chateau de Montfort.
See Aquitaine and Dordogne (the region and department for Chateau de Montfort) for more travel ideas...
Suggested tourist attractions to visit near Chateau de Montfort, France
- Sarlat - town of art and history (5km)
- Cathédrale Saint-Sardos (Sarlat) - religious monument (5km)
- La Roque-Gageac - most beautiful village (10km)
- Jardins du château de Caudon - remarkable garden (10km)
- Domme - most beautiful village (10km)
- Notre Dame des Cordeliers (Gourdon) - religious monument (11km)
- Gourdon - recommended detour (11km)
- Eglise notre-Dame de Nativité (Cenac-et-Saint-Julien) - religious monument (11km)
- Jardins de Marqueyssac - remarkable garden (11km)
- Jardins du Manoir d'Eyrignac - remarkable garden (11km)
The French version of this page is at Chateau de Montfort (Francais)