Chateau de Montfort, Aquitaine
Discover Chateau de Montfort
Chateau de Montfort is situated at Vitrac, 4 km west of Carsac-Aillac and east of Beynac and la-Roque-Gageac, in the popular Dordogne region of south-west France. The Chateau de Montfort sits literally on a rocky ledge overhanging the cliffs, village and river below.
History of Chateau de Montfort
Montfort has had a turbulent history, starting with the renowned cathar, Bernard de Casnac, who lived in the chateau, and swore to 'cut into pieces all the catholics in the region'. But life was never simple for the cathars and Casnac soon attracted the attentions of Simon de Montfort, who succeded in seizing the castle and removing Casnac.
There is a popular legend at the chateau that the daughter of Casnac was burned to death at Montfort, and that her ghost still haunts the chateau.
The Château de Montfort has undergone a great deal of change, rebuilding and enlargement during the 800 years that it has been here, but still remains an imposing monument.
In the tiny village huddled below the substantial ramparts there are some attractive houses in the yellow stone traditionally used in the Dordogne.
Views of the Chateau de Montfort
Unfortunately you will have to be satisfied with seeing the attractive château from the village outside - it is not open to the public.
Better views can be had nearby than in the village itself - there is a good view of the castle if you look back from a little way along the road towards Carsac, and like Chateau Beynac the river also gives an impressive view if you are passing by in a canoe.
Map of Chateau de Montfort and places to visit
Visit near Chateau de Montfort with France This Way reviews
... or see ALL recommended places to visit in Dordogne
Address: Vitrac, Sarlat-la-Canéda, Dordogne, Aquitaine, 24200, France || GPS: latitude 44.8375, longitude 1.2492
Sightseeing & tourist attractions to visit nearby
- Jardins du château de Caudon: remarkable garden (5km)
- Domme: most beautiful village (5km)
- La Roque-Gageac: most beautiful village (5km)
- Eglise notre-Dame de Nativité (Cenac-et-Saint-Julien): religious monument (6km)
- Cathédrale Saint-Sardos (Sarlat): religious monument (6km)
- Sarlat: town of art and history (6km)
- Jardins de Marqueyssac: remarkable garden (7km)
- Jardins de l'Albarède: remarkable garden (8km)
- Beynac: most beautiful village (8km)
- Gourdon: recommended detour (11km)