Visit Chalon-sur-Saone (Burgundy, France)
Chalon-sur-Sâone is in the Sâone-et-Loire department of central Burgundy, between Dijon and Mâcon. An interesting stop-off point as you head south towards Lyon, the town has retained a pleasant centre that merits exploration.
Start your visit in the large open square in front of the Town Hall where you can see various buildings of interest, and a chance to sit in the sunshine at a street-side cafe watching the world go by. Among the notable buildings are the town hall itself, the large baroque style Church of Saint-Pierre, and the Museum Denon*.
* One of the inventors of photography, Nicéphore-Niepce, is from Chalon-sur-Saone and in his honour the Museum Denon has amassed various cameras and paraphernalia relating to the early days of photography, along with many examples of later photographic equipment.
Another imposing religious monument in Chalon-sur-Saone is the Cathedral Saint-Vincent in the Place du Marché, originally the centre of the medieval city. Dating in part from the 11th century the facade of the cathedral was added in the 19th century.
Inside the cathedral you can see some ornate stone arches, medieval frescoes and cloisters. There are also some attractive half-timbered houses to be seen around the edges of the Place du Marché.
There is a large and mostly pedestrianised centre with the old streets containing a very wide range of shops and cafes, and some individual properties of interest such as one or two medieval half-timbered houses, the Palais de Justice and others tucked away up side-streets.
After exploring the centre of the town stroll down to the banks of the Saone to look across the river.
Chalon-sur-Saone also prides itself on its carnivals and outdoor festivals, which include a large carnival in February and a festival of street artists held during July each year - if possible try to time your visit to coincide with one of these events.
No visit to Burgundy would be complete without wine-tasting, which you can do in Chalon-sur-Saone itself at the Maison des Vins, who have a large selection of carefully selected local wines to taste (and buy).
Photos of Chalon-sur-Saone
Click any picture to start the gallery
Tourist classifications for Chalon-sur-Saone
Chalon-sur-Saone has received the following tourist classifications: historical protected town centre' (secteur sauvegardé); listed town of Art and History
Address: Chalon-sur-Saône, Saone-et-Loire, Burgundy, 71100 || GPS: latitude 46.78, longitude 4.8527
Map of Chalon-sur-Saone & places nearby
Highlights close by
Suggested tourist attractions to visit near Chalon-sur-Saone, France
- Abbatiale eglise de Saint Philibert (Tournus) - religious monument (24km)
- Tournus - secteur sauvegarde (24km)
- Eglise de Saint Pierre de Brancion (Martailly-les-Brancion) - religious monument (26km)
- Eglise de Saint Martin (Chapaize) - religious monument (26km)
- Hospices de Beaune (Beaune) - religious monument (27km)
- Beaune - ville fleurie 4* (28km)
- Eglise de Saint Vincent (Mont-Saint-Vincent) - religious monument (33km)
- Eglise de Saint Denis (Massy) - religious monument (38km)
- Parc et jardins du château de Sully - remarkable garden (38km)
- Abbaye de Cluny (Cluny) - religious monument (41km)
Market days in Chalon-sur-Saone: Regular market(s) are held in Chalon-sur-Saone each Wednesday & Thursday & Sunday & Friday. (Markets are held in the morning unless stated.)
The French version of this page is at Chalon-sur-Saone (Francais)