Visit Castelsagrat (Midi-Pyrenees, France)
It doesn't take long to visit the village. The focus in Castelsagrat is the main central square, the Place de la Liberté, which is surrounded by lovely stone arcaded buildings dating from the 13th and 14th centuries.
The large central square no longer has the traditional covered market hall found in many bastide towns but it has been planted with trees and has a selection of large planters painted pale blue to match the dominant colour of the shutters around the square, which makes for a very attractive town square.
Down the side streets running off the square there are also some beautiful half-timbered buildings, and more period houses in stone.
The church of Castelsagrat stands on the corner of the main square and has a particularly fine altarpiece.
Places near to Castelsagrat
The region around the town is a quiet rural environment, peaceful even in the height of summer. There are several other small towns and villages which, like Castelsagrat itself, don't individually take long to explore but are very pleasant and a reminder of a France that is no longer easy to find - close by these include Brassac, Montjoi, Beauville and Bourg-de-Visa.
The quiet roads and gently rolling landscapes make this an ideal region for cycling in the south of France.
Photos of Castelsagrat
Click any picture to start the gallery
Address: Castelsagrat, Valence, Castelsarrasin, Tarn-et-Garonne, Midi-Pyrenees, 82400 || GPS: latitude 44.185, longitude 0.947778
Map of Castelsagrat & places nearby
Highlights close by
Bourg de Visa 9km
Suggested tourist attractions to visit near Castelsagrat, France
- Abbaye de Saint Maurin (Saint-Maurin) - religious monument (5km)
- Eglise de Notre-Dame (Lacour) - religious monument (12km)
- Auvillar - most beautiful village (13km)
- Moissac abbatiale St Pierre (monuments on French pilgrim routes) - heritage site (14km)
- Eglise Notre Dame (Frespech) - religious monument (17km)
- Lauzerte - most beautiful village (17km)
- Jardin du Pèlerin - remarkable garden (17km)
- Eglise de Saint Martin (Layrac) - religious monument (23km)
- Agen cathédrale St Caprais (monuments on French pilgrim routes) - heritage site (26km)
- Prieuré de Sainte Marie (Moirax) - religious monument (27km)
The French version of this page is at Castelsagrat (Francais)