Visit Cap Frehel (Brittany, France)
Cap-Frehel is a very scenic spot on the northern coast of Brittany west of Dinard.
A small peninsula, and easily walked around, Cap Frehel is set on high limestone cliffs overlooking the sea to the north, and the wild heather countryside of the region inland. The views are very far-reaching and exceptional even for Brittany.
The location is also a designated bird reserve and a popular location with bird-spotters.
The drive along the coast to the Cap Frehel is lovely and upon arriving and finding you have to pay to get to the tip of the headland (only 2 euros but still…) I was disappointed as initially the view seemed no better...
...but having parked the car and walked along the headland, which is covered in heather and bracken and appears to have lots of walks you can set out upon, and I was pleased to have come!
If you walk beyond the lighthouse (2 euros to enter) and the restaurant there is another outcrop of rock which is virtually an island and is constantly circled by seagulls and the lower part packed with nesting sea birds. An amazing sight (and sound)!
There are two lighthouses - one built by Louis XIV in 1650 and the other dating from 1950. The latter can be visited, and in clear weather even the Channel islands can be seen in the distance.
Plévenon and Fort-la-Latte are near to Cap Fréhel.. Fort la Latte is a 14th century castle in a clifftop location, and one of the most popular chateaux in Brittany.
Photos of Cap Frehel
Click any picture to start the gallery
Address: Fréhel, Matignon, Dinan, Cotes-d'Armor, Brittany, 22240 || GPS: latitude 48.629, longitude -2.364
Map of Cap Frehel & places nearby
Highlights close by
Emerald Coast 26km
Suggested tourist attractions to visit near Cap Frehel, France
- Cap d'Erquy / Cap Frehel - grand site of france (7km)
- Dinard - town of art and history (22km)
- Jardins de Montmarin - remarkable garden (23km)
- Saint-Malo - ville fleurie 4* (25km)
- Dinan - recommended detour (31km)
- Jardin du Colombier - remarkable garden (36km)
- Zooparc de Trégomeur - zoo or wildlife park (38km)
- Saint-Juvat - ville fleurie 4* (39km)
- Pointe du Grouin - site of natural beauty (39km)
- Jardins du château de la Bourbansais - remarkable garden (43km)
The French version of this page is at Cap Frehel (Francais)