Bourg de Visa
Visit Bourg de Visa (Midi-Pyrenees, France)
Bourg de Visa is situated on the north-western ‘frontier’ of Tarn-et-Garonne where it meets the Lot et Garonne department, to the north-east of Agen.
It is a small town forming part of the 'Pays Agenais' region in a location that has been occupied for at least 2500 years, and a castle stood here in early medieval times although only a few ruins can now be seen.
Bourg de Visa is a pleasant small town with an arcaded main square surrounding an unusual market hall made of wrought iron metalwork.
Throughout the town there are various other interesting architectural features to discover and admire such as the pretty stone balcony above the Credit Agricole bank and an unusual triangular-shaped building.
There is also an ancient lavoir (communal washing area) and spring at 'le Site du Theron' and the Saint-Quirin fountain to see in Bourg de Visa.
Historical note: the style of the iron framed market hall is inspired by works by a 19th century architect called Victor Baltard who was commanded by Napoleon to create a series of buildings in Paris where trade and commerce could easily be carried out. Most of the original buildings are no longer in existence.
Combine your visit to Bourg-de-Visa with visits to some of the other little villages and towns in the Pays d'Agenais region - some of our favourites nearby include Beauville, Brassac, Castelsagrat and Montjoi - individually they don't take long to explore but together they form a picturesque ensemble, and visiting them also provides an attractive way to appreciate the gentle countryside of the region.
Photos of Bourg de Visa
Click any picture to start the gallery
Address: Bourg-de-Visa, Castelsarrasin, Tarn-et-Garonne, Midi-Pyrenees, 82190 || GPS: latitude 44.2636, longitude 0.958611
Map of Bourg de Visa & places nearby
Highlights close by
Suggested tourist attractions to visit near Bourg de Visa, France
- Eglise de Notre-Dame (Lacour) - religious monument (3km)
- Abbaye de Saint Maurin (Saint-Maurin) - religious monument (8km)
- Eglise Notre Dame (Frespech) - religious monument (12km)
- Jardin du Pèlerin - remarkable garden (14km)
- Lauzerte - most beautiful village (14km)
- Moissac abbatiale St Pierre (monuments on French pilgrim routes) - heritage site (20km)
- Auvillar - most beautiful village (22km)
- Pujols - most beautiful village (25km)
- Eglise de Saint Martin (Layrac) - religious monument (28km)
- Agen cathédrale St Caprais (monuments on French pilgrim routes) - heritage site (28km)
The French version of this page is at Bourg de Visa (Francais)