Visit Biot (Provence, France)
Biot is a small town near Antibes, between Nice and Cannes, a little inland from the French Riviera. Despite its location, it is slightly off the main routes that cross the region and is much quieter than many of the towns in the area.
The village is very pretty with quite an extensive old town lined with attractive houses and numerous small features to catch your attention. The raised position of Biot means it qualifies as a Provencal perched village and it has the fortifications and entry gate that originally helped protect the town.
Park in the car parks concealed down the hillside (les bachettes) and enter Biot along the Rue Saint Sebastien - a broad boulevard lined with attractive colourful houses, cafes, and lots of greenery. The tourist office is halfway along this street. The old town is found at the far end of this road and contains many features and highlights to attract your attention as you explore.
The centre of Biot old town is the Place des Arcades (a narrow square with arcaded houses along both sides and the 15th century church at the end - be sure to go in the church to see the retable (painting) of the Virgin of the Rosary by 16th century artist Louis Brea.
As you explore the streets you will come to a small gap in the houses called the place de la Catastrophe - it was here in 1898 that three houses collapsed during a communion party killing 26 people. Be sure to ask for a map of the town at Biot Tourist Office: the map contains a wealth of fascinating information, and highlights many interesting architectural features that you might otherwise miss that all help bring the history of the town to life.
Biot is also well known for:
- its glass-blowing: there are many shops and workshops that will introduce you to the art - and sell you examples
- Fernand Leger. There is a museum dedicated to the well known modern artist Fernand Leger on the edge of the town, with an interesting collection that shows you the life and career of the painter as it developed over the earlier decades of the 20th century.
Photos of Biot
Click any picture to start the gallery
Address: Biot, Antibes-Biot, Grasse, Alpes-Maritimes, Provence, 6410 || GPS: latitude 43.6294, longitude 7.09611
Map of Biot & places nearby
Highlights close by
Valmasque Parc 6km
Suggested tourist attractions to visit near Biot, France
- Marineland d'Antibes - aquarium (3km)
- Jardin botanique de la villa Thuret - remarkable garden (6km)
- Parc Phœnix - zoo or wildlife park (11km)
- Cannes - ville fleurie 4* (11km)
- Abbaye de Lerins (Cannes) - religious monument (11km)
- Gourdon - most beautiful village (14km)
- Baou de Saint-Jeannet - site of natural beauty (14km)
- Grasse - secteur sauvegarde (14km)
- Jardin de la Villa Fort de France - remarkable garden (15km)
- Jardin botanique - remarkable garden (16km)
The French version of this page is at Biot (Francais)