Visit Beauville (Aquitaine, France)
Note: this article describes Beauville in Lot-et-Garonne, not the commune of the same name to the east in Tarn-et-Garonne. Located east of Agen and near the border with Tarn et Garonne, Beauville is indeed a beau ville!
It wasn't always so calm here - until the 16th century Beauville was the seat of one of the most powerful barons of the Agenais area.
Perched on a hill top overlooking the lovely Agenais countryside, the main square in Beauville has the town hall on one side and lovely arcaded stone buildings on the other three sides. The 16th century church of saint-Jacques in the centre includes an earlier, 13th century, defensive tower.
The café on the square has a terrace at the rear where you can sit looking out on the valley below.
Beauville is perched on a rocky outcrop and at the narrowest point is a 16th century chateau (although part of the castle dates back to the 13th century). In appearance the castle is more like a 'large house' than a castle and it is a bit run down. It does however occupy a great position with the valley falling away from the castle walls on three sides.
Attractions near Beauville
The region around Beauville is peaceful, and away from the more important tourist destinations in south-west France - a place to relax and enjoy France as is was before tourism arrived...
The village is part of the 'Pays Agenais' region of gentle countryside, and the pleasure of a visit comes from exploring the small market towns and picturesque villages, enjoying a picnic overlooking a field of sunflowers, or watching buzzards circling quietly overhead.
Photos of Beauville
Click any picture to start the gallery
Address: Beauville, Agen, Lot-et-Garonne, Aquitaine, 47470 || GPS: latitude 44.2775, longitude 0.883056
Map of Beauville & places nearby
Highlights close by
Bourg de Visa 6km
Suggested tourist attractions to visit near Beauville, France
- Eglise de Notre-Dame (Lacour) - religious monument (5km)
- Eglise Notre Dame (Frespech) - religious monument (6km)
- Abbaye de Saint Maurin (Saint-Maurin) - religious monument (8km)
- Pujols - most beautiful village (20km)
- Jardin du Pèlerin - remarkable garden (20km)
- Lauzerte - most beautiful village (20km)
- Agen cathédrale St Caprais (monuments on French pilgrim routes) - heritage site (22km)
- Auvillar - most beautiful village (23km)
- Eglise de Saint Martin (Layrac) - religious monument (24km)
- Moissac abbatiale St Pierre (monuments on French pilgrim routes) - heritage site (25km)
The French version of this page is at Beauville (Francais)